Beware! Imported plywood

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by 6wheeler, May 23, 2012.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Any flatbed that picks up a shippment of the imported hardwood bundled in cardboard is asking for trouble.
    Picked up a shippment in NJ, receiver said the shippment was short wanted the trucking company to pay for it.
    Picked up a shippment from NJ different port, receiver filed a claim on it said it looked damaged.
    Picked up a shippment from VA, receiver filed a claim for damaged product.

This stuff if nothing but trouble, it looks rough from the warehouse. It is covered in cardboard and even the slightest amount of water will make it look wet if you go though a rain storm.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Ill keep that in mind... I hate plywood. Load I got now, not plywood, was sitting outside when I picked it up. Cant get wet... Was already wet when they put it on... I got pictures to prove it was wet before I touched it.

4. Shoestring

Shoestring Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lehigh Fl
    Great, first we have to worry about Chinese drywall, next it will be lawsuits over Chinese plywood.

5. cahoona

cahoona Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2011
    otterville mo.
    Seems easy enough to fix this problem. Let's quit buying crap from china!!!

classic_150, camels76, G/MAN and 2 others Thank this.
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you are concerned about claims or damage due to the product or how it is packaged, then you could refuse to haul it. You could always throw a tarp on the load to prevent any damage after you pick it up. If you want to continue hauling their freight you may just make notes on the bill of lading, such as SLC (shipper load and count) and make a note where you are not responsible for any shortages or water damage, etc. If the shipper doesn't want to sign off on it then I would leave the load.

scottied67 and dorset Thank this.
  7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    If it's coming out of the port in NJ, I doubt it came from China, since that's the wrong side of the coast for china crap.... most likely the former USSR or one of the Eastern Europen countries

8. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    The wholesaler I used to haul for got a lot of lumber from Lithuania. Actually looked like pretty nice stuff.

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I've hauled some "antique" lumber from Port Newark that came from Bastone, France. Just looked like old boards to me, but it paid AMAZING so I'm sure there was something special about it. Went to a home where the guy was putting it all back together. He said it was a 400 year old barn that he bought and was having it shipped over.

Some people have just too much money and not enough common sense LOL

10. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    Another reason why I do everything in my power not to haul lumber, unless it's treated

11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I'm telling you this stuff comes in everywhere. And yes it was from china, I know what I was hauling. Brokers don't have a clue they are just looking at paper. This stuff is a insurance claim waiting to happen. Cheep and heavy stuck me and the insurance company for a claim. I also did one from NJ from another broker that filed a claim.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.