Beware! Imported plywood

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by 6wheeler, May 23, 2012.

1. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    There is a lot of lumber products that are imported up and down the east coast from South America, especially Brazil.

I appreciate that you are trying to warn others, but it seems like some of the issues you brought up revolve around improperly handled paperwork. For example, did you sign for a certain number of bundles or a certain number of sheets? If you signed for a certain number of sheets when you couldn't verify the count due to the cardboard packaging the fault is yours. If you signed for a certain number of bundles, and delivered that many you should not be involved in the claim. On the second and third loads, did you inspect the load prior to signing for it? Did you note the damage? All imported shipments are handled/transloaded several times. There is a higher likelihood you are picking up something that was already damaged. You have to closely inspect and note all damage before signing for it. We used to have problems with damage grills on new tractors we picked up at ports. The grill was easily damaged, but it was black. It was easy to miss damage if not closely inspected. Bottom line...if you sign for something without noting damage and deliver it with damage it is you baby. There is more to the job than driving and securing.

Autocar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Hauled Teak veneer plywood that lookedlike that out of NJ, it was so full of giant bugs it had to befumigated before release. It had numerous stops and paid well butevery Lowe's I delivered to was a nightmare due to the bugs, neveragain would I touch a load of imported plywood.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.