Big Cam III sitting for 7 years...

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CbarM, Dec 10, 2014.

1. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    Hey guys, Im looking at an '83 KW with a BCIII 350 that last ran approx 7 years ago. Truck is in FL n Im in AB. Seller said it ran just fine when he parked it and if I buy it I would be driving it back under its own power. I know these are simple engines, but what can I expect for issues? Im going to drain the oil before it is started, refill with new and replace all filters, filling the fuel filters with ATF. What is your guys opinion on this? Im also aware that it will need tires, air bags, etc...

Also I assume its a good idea to add some algae killer to the tanks. The fuel system has been drained by the way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    Why would you use ATF in the fuel filters?

Tires and brakes would be my main worry after sitting that long as well as things like the throttle pedal and linkage.

4. rebeloutlaw66

rebeloutlaw66 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2009
    people have used atf in fuel filters for years they say it is a good injector cleaner, I have used it before and I have also used marvel mystery oil

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I had a shop fill a new fuel filter plum full of atf I thought he was nuts but she started right up.

6. Turtles

Turtles Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Seals and gaskets. All of them. They have been dry for years.

They will leak and fail slowly over the first few hundred miles.

The wheel seals will almost always fail as the bearings have not moved and are often frozen in place. It's easier to just replace them all beforehand. Then you can at least have it towed if things go really rotten.

Bring lots of radiator hose and water. Even if the radiator hasn't rotted, when the system comes up to pressure many old hoses let go.

Turn the engine over manully without attempting to start it first. The pistons and liners may have become one and the engine may be frozen.

Your best bet may be to tow or flatbed it home and overhaul it there.

7. rebeloutlaw66

Sep 2, 2009
    yep it sure will, old timers also used to pour it in the tanks as well, although don't get checked with it in there because the dot wont believe its not off road diesel with the red color

8. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    Much rather use something that is made to be burnt like two stroke oil.

9. rebeloutlaw66

Sep 2, 2009
    yeah that will work too

10. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Turn the motor over by hand for several turns of the crank,,then cut off fuel and turn with the starter only for about 30 turns of the crank.

Big Cam III engines that have set spin the cam bearings if you start the engine very easily if you start the engine with out turning the engine over with out getting the lube oil flowing thru out the engine first,,spinning the cam bearings will ruin the block

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    350 big cam is most notorious for busted Camshaft , make sure you have good oil pressure and don't lug it at all for a while. As far as being a simple engine, its an engine that requires a mechanic with troubleshooting skills, lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.