Big cam oil pan/ oil cooler line issues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have a new engine to put into my truck. I did not take into account that the original accessories on the truck were set up for a set forward axle. My truck has a set-back front axle, so I need to switch the oil pan from a rear sump to a front sump for clearance issues.

I have another engine that I can get the oil pan from. The problem that I'm having is that the oil coolers are different and the lines are set up differently

Here is the engine that is going in
    20181111_114742.jpg

Here is the engine that I will take the pan from.
    20181111_114742.jpg 20181111_114833.jpg

You can see that the new engine has one line coming from the bottom of the pan to the oil cooler. The other engine is set up differently. Here are my questions

1) the line that comes from the oil pan on the rear sump, is that a pressure line or drain line?

2) if you look at the front sump oil pan, there is a pipe plug in there. Can the line from the oil cooler on the new engine run to that pipe plug? If not, how can I run the line?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    That engine does not use a drain line from the oil cooler to the pan. As configured you'll have a low oil pressure problem. You've created an internal oil leak. The engine with the 2 oil filters used a line to the base as a drain for the rear filter which is a bypass filter. Your replacement engine has a full flow filter only.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    So what you are saying is that I have to use the oil cooler from the other engine in order to be able to use the front sump oil pan from that engine.

That will solve the problem?

5. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    Not what I'm saying. You can remove the added line from the oil cooler & plug the hole. The engine has no use for it. I'm thinking you put the line there to duplicate the line from the oil cooler to the turbo drain tube on the original engine. The one with 2 filters. Is that correct?
    Regarding the oil pan, the front sump pan will bolt onto the replacement engine. Get the oil pan gasket kit from cummins. It has all the needed o'rings to seal the external sump tube. Pay attention to the clamps securing the internal sump tube as they break.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    Just reviewing the pictures of your engine . the oil pump needs a 2 bolt flange at the sump tube location for the steel pan to work. If the oil pump has a threaded hole its not compatable with the steel pan. The sump tube will not bolt up.

7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    @pup

Okay let me make sure I understand what you are saying to me.

You are saying that on my new engine that currently has the rear sump, if I put the oil pan on from the other engine that has the front sump I can delete the second line that runs down to the oil pan and use the same single filter oil cooler without any oil pressure problems.

8. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Actually the new engine that I have is a new block, but the oil pan and cooler lines were all set up the way that you see them on the truck that I used to run.

The engine with the two filters is a big cam 3 engine in a truck that I'm not using right now. So I can swap the oil pans but I didn't know what to do with the oil lines.

On the big cam 3 engine there is a 2 Bolt line that goes to the front of the oil pan. It is 1 solid steel line. I figured I would have to take the oil pump from the big cam 3 and put it onto this new engine along with the front sump oil pan. You are correct the oil pump that is on my new engine is a threaded type and I can see it's a different connection.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  9. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    You would have to take the oil pump & oil cooler from the big cam3. Pressure regulator on the new engine is in the oil cooler. Old style. The bc3 has the regulator in the oil pump. Keep the coolers & pumps together.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you for the advice.

I absolutely will do that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.