Big G Express Shelbyville, Tn So far........

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Tenn I See Trucker, Jun 5, 2014.

1. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I will do my best to answer all your questions

Big G requires 1 yr of OTR experience

Riders are allowed. I believe it cost $35 per year to cover a rider. Small dogs are allowed. There is a pet deposit required, but I don't know how much it costs. I believe they must be under 20 lbs.

We have excellent BCBS insurance. Vision and dental are available.

We are an employee owned company. That means each year (after you've been there for 1 yr), you get stock in the company, at no cost to you. The number of shares is based on miles run in the previous year. Value is based on the current market value of the company. You become fully vested after 3 yrs. We are all company drivers. Big G does not do a lease and they do not have any o/o. Only company trucks.

Big G does pay detention pay. You get it if you are held at a shipper/consignee for more than 2 hours after your appointment time. It's currently $12 per hour, paid in half hour increments. If dispatch calls to ask for your help by doing a swap, they will generally give you some extra pay for helping out and to offset any miles you lose out on by waiting around.

For hometime, if you live within 50 miles of a terminal, you must park at the terminal. If you live outside 50 miles, they will give you a load that is going thru where you live, so it is paid miles going to the house. I generally get home Friday night or Saturday morning with a load that delivers on Monday.

We only fuel at Pilot/Flying J. They give a recommended fuel stop for each trip, and you should use the recommended stop whenever possible because it is the cheapest price (remember we are employee owned and saving money means higher stock value). But if it is not possible to use the recommended stop, for whatever reason, you can fuel at any Pilot/J and no special permission or authorization is required. We have a fuel card.

Big G pulls only dry van trailers, no reefer.

Freight is 100% no touch.

All trucks have a Thermo-King APU

Hope this helps. Just ask if you need to know anything else. I've been with Big G for two years and I am very happy working here. It is definatly an above-average trucking company.

jungHo, Lonesome, DevilDog79 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    You guys do much business in south east mo? Maybe at Bloomfield mo at the nestle kitty litter plant?

4. stabob

stabob Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Sebring Fl
    Will they hire in fl and be off on weekends?

5. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Do they allow Midgets in the truck? :biggrin_25512:

Tennesseahawk and stabob Thank this.
  6. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Are all your trucks 10 speed manual or do you have automatics??

7. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I've been to the kitty litter place a few times. Usually dead head down there after a delivery in St. Louis area

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  8. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    they do hire out of FL. Some of the guys I've talked to said that they usually don't get home every weekend. I think you have to live in TN to be guaranteed every weekend off.

9. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    There used to be some autos in the fleet, but I'm pretty sure they're are all gone now. Manuals only as far as I know.

gntorres61 Thanks this.
  10. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    So do you guys run anywhere besides up and down I81? Lol

i know that is the primary lane but where else do you guys run?

11. stabob

stabob Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Sebring Fl
    10/4 thanks I'm very satisfied were I'm at but its nice to have a back up plan. You guys still pull for steelcace?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.