Big Loads - Post Photos Number 2

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by truckdad, Aug 3, 2015.

1. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Dumb question from a guy that's never been near a transformer.
    How much oil is in one of them things and how would the average scale master know if it has any oil in it at all?
    Seems pretty nit-picky when you figure a tractor can have 10,000# worth of fluid in the tires. And several ton of iron weights hanging in plain sight.

SAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    This has 14000 lbs worth of oil in it. And the way an average scale master would know is to go out to it and look at the gauge that shows oil level....I guess that is a hot button for Arkansas - I blame @wore out for making them angry all the time and since I am not married to a judge....

They wanted to “overfill” this one to account for some parts that they shipped separately- another 4-5000 lbs worth but that didn’t happen for a number of reasons

snowman_w900, kylefitzy, SAR and 7 others Thank this.
  4. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Wow. Never would have thought the big ones held that much oil.
    That's gotta be near 1,600 gallons or better. If you wasn't so heavy to begin with you might feel a little surge just from the oil!!

SAR and cke Thank this.
  5. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    My math says it is close to 1,842 gallons of oil based on the oil being 7.6 pounds per gallon. All I can say is dang.

6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I'm not sure what this loads pay & I'm not asking you to say but it would have to pay $90,000 to $100,000 to even be worthwhile. I know my costs & target revenue hailing general freight. It probably costs 3x as much to do what you do & I would want at least 3x the revenue. Good luck to you & Merry Christmas wherever you get to spend it.

Feedman and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    I'm not answering for @Rontonio, and it's not my business either what his load pays...
    However, in our load weight class, $90-100k loads are exceptionally rare. I've done exactly 1 of each of those 2 numbers in the 8 yrs I've owned my trailer. Exceedingly bizarre circumstances for both, and neither started at those numbers, that was after hefty detention charges.
    I've hauled a couple handfuls or so of loads that pay half those numbers, but that is also not the norm.

RStewart, SAR, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Well it's 5am Saturday December 23rd and I haven't heard from my buddy @Rontonio yet to see if he managed to get where he was hoping to...
    If it helps any Ron, I made it home for Christmas, but the forecast high is -20C and the overnight low is -27C for the 25th, so enjoy your tropical hangout!
    Since it's too cold outside to do anything, the truck is up on blocks, the oil has been drained and the tranny Jack is under the truck, the new clutch is sitting on the floor, and my rear main seal, flywheel housing gasket, spare resurfaced flywheel, new motor mounts, etc. are on the bench. She will be torn down al the way to the block to fix my leaky mess and reassembled during my Xmas/NY break...
    I hate being me right now...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    BigBob410, sawmill, TripleSix and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Yes my friend, I made it to the promised land with my small 5 hour cushion intact. I will leave out again on Wednesday and get over the battleship Iowa in San Pedro and deliver sometime me Thursday.

It is unseasonably cold here - overnight lows of 0 Canadian degrees and highs around 60 of US degrees.

I will be glad to finish this load and no it didn’t pay anywhere near 90k

BigBob410, stwik, sawmill and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    You ROCK!!!
    Glad it worked as best it could in the end...

cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    That’s a 2012. With DEF and after treatment module and tiny exhaust. N14? No. ISX.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.