Big Loads - Post Photos Number 2

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by truckdad, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I never crossed a scale with either of those loads but going off my suspension press. Gauge I’d say I was around 32-34k on the tandems. Allowed 12k on the steer which is next to impossible on that tractor due to the stretched WB. I’ve got a long fifth wheel slide however I’d be into the trailer before I’d get more weight up front.

The truck and excavator both weight about 40,000 lbs. Wasn’t too big weight wise.

I’d worked for these guys years ago and took a break from trucking to go back to turning wrenches for a living. Just started back up with them recently. The safety guy needs to get my permits for over weight on the axles and all that fun stuff for non divisible loads still.

Next time I get something like that I will pull across a scale hopefully and get some more information. Used to keep a book with me when I was running state side with pressures vs weights however now with this company, we usually run “local” within a few hundred miles of Sudbury, ON. Hard to cross scales in these parts some times.

Feedman, Steve from hutch and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I don't know who this guy is, but someone buy him a beer! osowla.jpg

FoolsErrand, cke, booley and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'll bet he's out of route!

booley Thanks this.
  5. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I wouldn’t bet on it.

cke, SuperRookie, booley and 7 others Thank this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    When Louisiana was working on the 220 loop around Shreveport they had it down to one lane just like that. Multiple times the tried to route one of us on the detour and on through the construction. Same dimensions. 15’11” wide.

cke, booley, Feedman and 3 others Thank this.
  7. 13pete

13pete Guest

Heres another question, Did you chain the forklift to your deck or just rely on the lashings from the forklift to the flatrack. Those shipping lashings are not legal for road use. Don't do dumb things to make a buck. One screw up could have cost more than $1800....

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Nah, BTDT... I usually just close my eyes. o_O

booley, Oxbow, kptnt2016 and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Why would the straps not be legal for on road use? I count 6 straps on this side and can assume there are 6 more on the other side. 12 straps, if they are unmarked 2" nylon they have a raiting of 2000 pounds each. They likely are rated much higher then that.

cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. 13pete

13pete Guest

You have to secure the machine to the lowbed itself. Not the flat rack. and as far as I know wheeled equipment has to be chained down not strapped.

11. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Says who on both points? Certainly not the FMCSA. My bread and butter are loads that are secured to fixtures and then I secure the fixtures to the trailer. Same deal as a flat rack. As long as 50% of the weight of the cargo is covered it’s perfectly legal.

cke, kptnt2016 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.