Big, Loud, Cobra 29 LTD Radios

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by garmich1000, May 23, 2011.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I think you got ripped off. I think the average price was about $99 back in 2003 and if you waited for them to go on sale you could often find them at the petro for $60 or $80 for a refurbished unit. Wholesale price was about $40 for a new one.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    trucking for family Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Still find refurbished now and then for $100...
    Only cobra 29 i seen $200 or more is the latest pos..

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. trucking for family

trucking for family Light Load Member

May 11, 2016
    Michigan
    Probably but it has lasted 16 or 17 years so it paid itself off a few times over by now. Im not complaining!

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TFF, I don’t blame you for wanting to get a newer radio,the Stryker radios are pretty nice looking. If you do get a new radio just keep your good old trusty cobra 29 for a back up radio, you can never have too many radios.

Unfortunately with modern trucks you have more problems with electrical noise,such as inverters in the trucks. You can unplug the coax from the back of your radio to see if the noise goes away. Then you know if it’s coming in through your antenna versus the electrical system. If you use a noise suppressor make sure it can handle the current that your radio draws. For example the Stryker would draw a higher current then the cobra 29 would.

As far as starting a new thread? don’t worry about it, guys revive old threads all the time.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Those noise supressors also block incomming signals to you can lose someone elses tx to you....
    I would find the source of said noise and deal with that..

If you do buy a stryker,go with a 655 if you dont want side band and the 955 if you do..
    Older models all work well but dont have things that are usefull as in a amoured rec(less noise)voltage and swr protect ect..
    Before i bought my 1st 955 i wanted it cause it had more power than my cobra and the colored face stuff...Now i understand a bit more which made it even more valueable to me ..

7. trucking for family

May 11, 2016
    Michigan
    I called bells cb and was surprised what all they can do for the old 29 I might actually mail it to them and revive the old box I haven’t decided yet.

I didn’t mean to cause any issues reviving the thread of it was against rules I do apologize I do t post much mainly I read and learn.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I've never heard of that happening before. My noise suppressor didn't interfere with my ability to listen to that freightliner Cascadia from 74 miles away.
    [​IMG]

9. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

I was scratching my head on that statement too. Specially since the surge suppressor deals with the DC power coming into the radio, rather then the RF signals coming through the antenna.

10. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

Far as I know there’s no rules against reviving an old thread. Besides, you gave a very logical reason for bringing it up. Some people just like to nitpick I guess.

11. trucking for family

May 11, 2016
    Michigan
    Well it’s official after calling a few shops I’m keeping the 29 I like the old box too much. I sent for a rm number from clays in Texas and am ordering a mount for the mirror on the Cascadia as well as a new antenna recommended by both clays and bells cb shops.

Predator 10k k-1-17 antenna

I’m still looking for a mount

Clays does a good watt mod for my cb along the lines of what I’m after so that’s where it’s going. Hopefully they know what they are doing it’s sure affordable! I’m thinking the wait will be annoying but worth it if they know what they are doing.

8FF0341C-4BC0-40F8-8CDD-DA1B4138020B.png

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.