Big sleeper

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by BGatot, Mar 8, 2008.

1. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Seriously, if you keep it clean the way it should be you can't smell anything but the clean. A couple years ago I went and looked at another one to buy. It was a repo and I was going to get a really good deal on it so I thought why not, I could put a driver in it and make it pay for itself. When I went to look at it the guy must have been a REAL pig. It looked and smelled like a port-a-pot. I could'nt believe someone would live like that. Needless to say I passed on the deal. I guess my point is, if you take care of it and clean it like you do your own house you can't tell it's even there. :biggrin_25512:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

Unfortunately your right. There are still many polluters dumping all kinds of toxic substances on the ground. The epa cannot catch them all I guess. I think we need to bring back the old Indian on the horse staring at an illegal dump site to illustrate what we are doing to Gaia.

Too bad convenience takes precedence over the environment.

4. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.

That's how I feel about trucking. The rest is for the bird's.:biggrin_25525:

As for them largecar "houses on wheels" well, they are nice and make good show truck's but I wouldn't want that kind of attention. A friend of mine has an 80's model Pete that has been streched out and a 20ft container put on the back and customized. Living room area with a foo taun(?), shower, toilet, kitchen with sink etc and a bed room area with a (yes) king size bed and both door's on the back were customized as well. Window's and smooth side sheeting as been installed full interior. A palace on wheel's. All black, chrom addtion's and chicken light's. It only has a single drive axle now and a 5th wheel but wasn't built for hauling load's. Just RV use and some times use for our club. (model trains) It ride's really nice and this thing is like a some 40(?) long. As far as I know he did everything himself with some help.

5. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar.
    The Company that hauls the jet engines is Southern Pride. I think they are out of San Diego or a suburb. And the large bunk did make it nice to be able to pull into the customer late at night, cook a meal and take a shower before bed.

6. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas

That would be pretty sweet

7. jlkklj777

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Based on the size of the holding tank for the water I suspect you might get 1 very short shower and then have to find a source of potable water to refill the tanks. Naw I will pass on the extra weight and length of these condos on wheels. Washing and wiping down the shower each day to prevent mold and mildew would get old real quick. Not to mention the difficulty in backing up 1 of these behemoths. Especially for some of the customers I go to. Just not practical.:biggrin_25513:

8. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    What is toxic about bath soap and shampoo? Greywater is not harmful to the environment. For that matter, neither is human waste -- it's nothing more than fertilizer. But pathogens can grow in it, so it needs to be handled with a certain amount of care, and too much fertilizer in one place is not a good thing. The funny thing is that the chemicals we have to dump into our porta-potties to keep them user-friendly actually ARE harmful to the environment.

9. jlkklj777

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Seems to me that Europeans had that attitude not that many generations ago. They dumped their raw sewage and "gray water" out their windows into the gutters and yelled "PHILLY LOOO!!!" to alert the passersby so they would not needlessly be splashed with human excrement. I believe Cholera and other diseases were the result of these "open sewers" contaminating good drinking water.

Just where did you get that info anyway? I consider myself pretty well informed on many subjects (as I have a rather large appetite for reading) but I must admit I have NEVER read anywhere that raw sewage (or gray water) was healthy for the environment or us for that matter.

Now if you want to discuss "sludge fields" that waste has been treated and from my understanding is considered safe enough to spread on the land and fertilize crops.

10. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    We routinely fertilize fields by dumping manure on them. In other parts of the world where they don't have large herds of cows and horses, "human manure" is used in exactly the same manner. It is a much better practice to compost and sterilize the human manure prior to using it as fertilizer, but nothing in my original reply advocated the mass dumping of "raw sewage." It is simply a fact: human waste is fertilizer, as are the waste products of all other animals. The waste is eaten by microorganisms, worms and other critters, which in turn excrete their own waste, all of which releases vital nutrients into the soil or water. Nature ain't pretty, but it is efficient.

"Grey water" is simply a term for ANY water which has been used for washing dishes, people, clothes, etc. It will likely contain some soap or detergent products. But as long as these soaps or detergents are biodegradable, they pose no harm to the environment and can be (and quite routinely are) dumped into the environment without treatment. Many homeowners divert their greywater for irrigation purposes, to avoid overuse of their septic fields. Allowing greywater to drain onto the pavement beneath a truck does no one any harm.

11. jlkklj777

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Hmmm wasnt their recently an outbreak of tainted spinach from those very practices you just mentioned? I seem to recall a major outbreak so bad that some even died from this and a major recall of spinach.

I am not saying that this is not happening. You are indeed correct it is happening and in my opinion SHOULD NOT be happening. We live in a time where we know there are better ways of disposing of our waste materials but through laziness and greed (not wanting to spend the money to treat these materials prior to disposal) we are actually poisoning our environment.

For folks with these rv's and the trucks with toilets and showers on board please DO NOT dump your waste on the ground. Go to an rv dump site or a dump site in a service plaza and dipose of your waste "appropriately."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.