Billing direct / account receivables

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HopeOverMope, Jan 3, 2018.

1. wrongwaytommy

wrongwaytommy Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    I don`t deal direct with shippers or receivers
    I have found out a lot of them are just cheapskates and want freight hauled for next for nothing.I deal with a factoring company and direct with some good brokers.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    But if they don't pay, the factoring company comes back to you asking for the money back. Right?

4. wrongwaytommy

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    thats right.They take it out of my cash reserves and they haven`t done that in 5 years.I can`t remember a time they did that.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I've been considering the idea of factoring but hate the idea of giving up 5 percent of my revenue. However, if they handle all the receivables it makes my life a little bit easier. Just worried about have them come back later because of a dead beat.

wrongwaytommy Thanks this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Most people are honest and won't #### you. I tend to mostly deal with the same people, which limits my risk as they are known on time payers.
    Some people will straggle with payments, but imo if you show up at their office ready to #### #### up, pretty rare that you won't get paid as @KO1927 can attest to.

DSK333 and wrongwaytommy Thank this.
  7. wrongwaytommy

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    some factoring companies have a program where they never come back wanting money regardless,but my factoring companie keeps 5 % and after the bill is paid they get 2.9 % plus a dollar or two for invoice handling.My cash reserves usually are around 1 % , which they are supossed to return to me monthly but I have to get on their ### to get it sometimes.They usually clip me for 4% when it is all said and done

DSK333 Thanks this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    That's good to know. I may be overanalyzing but I'm trying to make sure I keep all my bases covered from the start and if I can save a little time too that's also great. I'd rather not factor at all but just starting out, every little but of "help" may be utilized. I was considering the quick pay options but I'm worried that might hurt me from a negotiation standpoint seeing it makes me look needy for cash. That's not the case at all since I have plenty of cash it's just that small amount of nagging concern deep in the back of my mind, "will they pay?".
    So they keep a total of 7.9 percent after all is said and done?

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Prolly be better off with quickpay, while I never did quickpay or factoring myself; least ways with quickpay there isn't an intermediary to come back on you. Idk what kind of cut places get for quickpay, but bigger brokers it shouldn't matter in terms of negotiation bc the actual agent you deal with doesn't necessarily know your payment terms anyway.

redoctober83 and DSK333 Thank this.
  10. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    Quickbooks vs Freshbooks which one or neither?

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't mean to be mean and don't want to seem to bash anyone but you all need to learn how factoring companies work, what is a recourse factoring contract and a non-recourse factoring contract, how to negotiate terms and so on.

If 5% or what ever the fee is, is too much for you, then learn how to manage the cash flow to cover the bills going forward, which for many this means not getting paid and banking the money to cover the three or five months of expenses with the truck and related expenses. The 5% or what ever is a cost to doing business which allows one to have instant cash flow that is needed to move forward. A lot of owners are running so cheap that 5% kills them.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.