BIO PAPPEL aka McKinley Paper in Prewitt, NM

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by CDL Noob, Jan 29, 2019.

1. CDL Noob

CDL Noob Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    My team partner and I got a load offering at the SAFEWAY DC in Denver. It was a load of crushed cardboard going to BIO PAPPEL in Prewitt, NM. We took the load, it was a simple drop and hook with a live unload at the other end.

I looked at Google earth to zoom in on the address and then made the mistake of reading the reviews from drivers. All of them were negative, especially about the rent-a-cops at the gate which also controlled access to a powerplant on the same property.

I am a retired cop...so I have no special love for mall ninjas, but I also figure..."Hey, they are working folks too".

Anyway, we got to the final...and everyone from the security office to the dock were polite, professional, and courteous. The unload went off without a hitch, and we were on our way within an hour from check in to green light.

The only negative was the smell (paper mills stink), and the dock was tight, but not "hard".

So, based upon my experience....I give them 4.5/5 stars.

kakk86 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kakk86

kakk86 Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Virginia
    I've been there several times and it's always great, you just can't get there too early. I even had another driver tell me how horrible it was to go there.

CDL Noob Thanks this.
  4. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I was in and out of there pretty quick. That was at nighttime, though. The powerplant owns the land where the dirt parking lot at the front gate is located and won't allow overnight parking. Jagoffs.

5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I've been there once never again...bunch of rent a cops on power trip..

6. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    i did those loads in the 90s. It was ok about 2/3 of time. Other times there was a backup of some sort. Used to be able to take break there...

7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Bio Pappel was a regular stop when I was with Welfare Express. We dropped off cardboard bales and picked up 7 or 8 large paper rolls and took 'em to Fullerton.

The reason security was so high and tight at that paper mill is because it is attached to an electric power station.

After the wake of 9-11-01, our wonderful government began implementing more stringent measures regarding security at any so-called "sensitive" site such as airports, power plants, ports, and the like.

Give a gun to someone who doesn't have the gumption or qualifications to become a prison guard or police officer, and voila! You have yourself a GS2 security guard who thinks he or she is the commandant of some Latin American dictator's personal security force.

I've worked unarmed security myself and I was among the few who cringed at the thought of becoming one of those wannabe door kickers.

The other negative was the lack of parking. Parking near the scale and guard shack was limited to those few trucks who were due to be offloaded soon. Offsite parking was available on dirt lots near a busy RR Crossing. It's that same line that runs parallel to I-40 in NM. Those weren't the days.

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.