Blindside alley docking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Mr. EastCoast

Mr. EastCoast Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Guys how the hell do you guys blindside? I drive a daycab so I know it’s a little more easier then doing a blindside on a sleeper. What are some tips and tricks you guys can lend me. I know I have to get out and look but I wanted to see if you guys had any tips.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    My best advice, blindside or sight side, is to get out an look BEFORE you start to back up.
    Roll up to your spot, about where you think you should be.
    Get out and look at where your tires are gonna go and you'll create an image in your head as to what your arms need to do.
    Adjust as you may, and start backing up.
    Lots of time things look way different (better or worse) on the ground than the do in the truck.

Good luck.

tscottme, Pamela1990, alds and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Just back up till you hit something pull forward and do it again till you get it or they ask you to leave......im kidding of course.

Get out and look if it's tight I'll get out and look every foot or so.

If there's plenty of room on the sight side so you only have to watch your blind side, roll the window down so you can set the brakes run over and look without having to get out.

I've got threeish years in and there's places it's still taken me an hour to get backed into. Blind side alley dock into a small shop building in Chicago lmao

5. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Everybody has their day..

Just take your time, no matter how long it takes, to get that thing docked w/o hitting anything.

Pamela1990 and Mr. EastCoast Thank this.
  6. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    If the windows in the sleeper are big enough you can get a pretty good view out of the passenger side window.

Short Fuse EOD and Mr. EastCoast Thank this.
  7. Silverking

Silverking Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Edgewater, FL
    Once you figure out proper set up backing from either sides becomes a lot easier

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    do what you do sight side. Just reverse it

9. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I play with the passenger's side mirror. I back up some, readjust the mirror so I can see, and continue till I can no longer adjust the mirror.

I then look out the passenger window after putting the brakes on.

tscottme, skyviper73, TravR1 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I do the exact same thing when I am blindside backing in to an unfamiliar location. It works really well for me.

Blindside backing is one of the things I was forced to practice with my instructor, my Father. Before I was able to get a CDL my dad would take me in his 1986 Kenworth K100 Cabover and we would go to mall that was closed and utilize the parking lot. Some days the only thing I was allowed to do was drive in reverse. No forward gears at all. I had to drive in reverse around the parking lot.

I give him all of the credit for making me do that because it made me very good at backing in to almost any situation.

Take you time. Get out and look. Be careful if someone offers assistance when blindside backing because they may not understand the characteristics of the truck and trailer you have and how it maneuvers when backing. Always trust the "get out and look" and not someone else's hand signals.

11. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Yeah, I know it's recommended to have a helper but I would rather not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.