Blog Topics with New Truckers in Mind

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Skeezar, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Skeezar

Skeezar Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Thinking of getting a blog going for new truck drivers that are just getting on the road, about to get on the road or just starting out with their training and I'm looking for some blog topics to help get me started. What kind of information are the new truckers looking for or what kind of information do you think they are looking for?

Cantwaittotruck and Twicebit Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There are so many topics that new drivers will want to discuss and they're hard to itemize. But spend a day or two reading through this Forum Topic and you'll see a lot of common threads and you'll also see a lot of approaches in responding to them ... some helpful, some not so helpful

pathways to the trucking industry
    OTR vs Regional vs Local trucking models and the differences for the driver
    CDL schools vs company training
    Types of trucking (van, reefer, flatbed, oilfield) and their pros and cons
    training finance and work commitment issues
    missing family
    the "Lifestyle", what it is, what it isn't
    having realistic expectations in the beginning and looking forward
    the difficulties of managing the truck in backing and turning situations
    skills needed, both in regards to actual driving and dealing with people and problem solving
    time management, on the road, and at home
    money management, bills/mail handling
    maintaining a "home" vs being a gypsie (for the singles with few family commitments)
    dealing with odd and varying work hours
    dealing with the "newbie" stigma
    eating healthy and affordably
    dealing with weeks and months where practically every load really sucks
    dealing with trainers and team issues
    Mountain driving
    snow/ice driving
    trip planning

I could go on but it's a start

Skeezar and Twicebit Thank this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    It's interesting. The list that STex suggested was discussed at the trucking school I attended. Guess I was lucky to have gone into this industry with my eyes wide open.

5. ColoradoGreen

ColoradoGreen Heavy Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    STexan hit a lot of good ones.

I'd do one on the image of trucking today, why it's degraded, and what even the individual driver can do to improve that image.

Dealing with safety issues, both directly (if you have to work on the truck) as well as safety departments.

I'd periodically do an "odds and ends" sort of blog post, as well. Little tidbits, like why you run slower in hot weather with a step-deck (small tires), stuff like that.

If you're really ambitious and have the know how, get into the mechanicals of trucks, as well. When a driver knows what the truck is actually doing, it can greatly improve their driving and the way they treat the truck.

Skeezar and STexan Thank this.
  6. Skeezar

Skeezar Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks STexan! Lots of good topics here. Can never have enough though, so keep 'em coming ladies and gentleman

7. MysticTrucker

MysticTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Cottage Grove, MN
    As a soon to be released solo OTR driver I would appreciate a blog like you've proposed. I have noted the same trends in questions. One thing I have learned to do is "mining" the forums BEFORE I ask the question b/c is seems in so many cases there are several threads running at the same time that are dealing with the same topic...So maybe "How to find your own answers first" topic? I guess I may have just contradicted myself there...feel like a politician.

Charlie
    "Resistance is not futile; I will not be assimilated."

Skeezar Thanks this.
  8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Do a search and see just how many trucker blogs are already out there.

9. Skeezar

Skeezar Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2013
    One of the goals for the blog is to make posts that there are so many answers to on the forums and try to combine the information in every one of them into one blog post. If you have any specific topics in mind please let me know.

You should feel like a politician, they are the definition of a contradiction. :biggrin_25525:

10. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I would suggest that you just blog about your day to day experience from the beginning throughout your journey. It will automatically be divided up into sections like your time before school, (trying to find a good school or what route to take) then your time during school (along with searching for a company to drive for) then after you graduate heading off to the company of your choice, attending orientation etc... next you will be heading out over the road with a trainer for a couple of months. Once you upgrade from your trainer you will be classified as a professional solo driver! From there you can post about your day to day struggles and triumphs as a solo over the road truck driver.

There are quite a few threads on this site like this if you want to check them out and see how things went for them. I'm sure everyone's experience will differ but as far as the natural progression of the endeavor, should be somewhat similar. Maybe you could also include a short daily vid or commentary and/or some picts!

Good luck man, looking forward to reading about your journey!

11. MysticTrucker

MysticTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Cottage Grove, MN
    I have done this and am still doing it. Covered all the topics here and then some. I can't advertise, so look at my handle and deduce from there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.