Bloodbath on the spot market, how long will it last?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by simpatico, May 9, 2022.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Fair enough then, that makes sense. My point still stands however that its cheaper to swap my engine and transmission with a diff rebuild then buy new or repair my MX and emissions system to factory.

They were firm on the rebuild though for the emissions and that was used or aftermarket parts at 68k all in. If i use factory new at the dealer like i said kenworth wanted 72k just for the emissions system and another 30 odd for the engine rebuild. Or 42k for a new engine.

Cat can get me a factory cert 6nz for $48k sans core for deposit (edit for clarity) and all parts to be drop-in ready including engine wire harness ECM, CCU and mounts ontop of all the other crap with 4 year plat rebuild warranty 52k installed. Then an eaton 18 speed for 16k without a core deposit (edit for clarity) and 3 year they can install with engine for 18k or 22k on its own. Diff was 4k rebuilt and i think 9k for a 3.72 swap new.

Already got the deposit on a 6nz paid so as soon as they can secure a block they plan to grab it for the core and we will go from there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Even with you doing what you have you’re stacking up cash. Stick right with the wrenching. You can’t possibly be making less than $100/hr when you’re working on your truck. Really it’s pretty hard to roll one up to a shop door anywhere for under $150/hr anymore. Rescue yourself off the side of the road and you just made yourself a lot more than that. Hand cleaner is cheap, or shove your hands in a fuel tank. Whatever works right.

4. simpatico

simpatico Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2022
    Kansas City
    You won’t regret that 6nz :cool: Best engine Cat ever made besides maybe a 3408, just my opinion though

RefMata Thanks this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Lies and slander lol 3406A model is the best....but i cant figure out how to convert a plastic truck to run one legally. In all seriousness my family are all cat people. Im the black sheep with a paccar. Grew up learning on an A model and have fond memories of it.....and of grand dad CONSTANTLY #####ing about his 3408 lol i remimber the day he ploonked an A model in the #####ing stopped and he was happy from then on.

Also ran C15s for years in the oilfield and when i was company for bones. Many fond memories plus i helped my uncle rebuild his 6nz twice so i know how to fiddle with them.

6. simpatico

Apr 3, 2022
    Kansas City
    LOL my dad has told me stories about how his 3408 would pull the moon. I don't remember him ever saying a bad thing about it besides it being hell on the fuel bill :D

I ran a 6NZ in the oilfield for Titewater and I absolutely loved that betch! a straight piped 6NZ will give you goosebumps :p I was trying to buy it from the guy but he wanted way too much for it.

I'm determined to have a pre emissions W9 with a 6NZ in the fleet one of these days though :cool:

Wasn't a 3406A a non ECM? :confused:

7. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    90K Volvo 670 13 speed 465hp Dec 2001.
    Best truck ever.
    A real Swedish princess.

simpatico Thanks this.
  8. simpatico

Apr 3, 2022
    Kansas City

Don't slap a Cat in a plastic truck, that's witchcraft :eek: Slap one in a 379 or a W9 :cool:

9. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Noice, you remimber miller concrete in the bakken? I was with them. And grand dad had fuel pump problems constantly to the point he considered burning his rig down at least once for spite. As for the 3406a yup hence why i cant figure out how to stuff one in a plastic truck lol.....at least not yet.

10. simpatico

Apr 3, 2022
    Kansas City
    For all the crap Vulva catches those D13s and MP8s sure go forever! Besides all the aftertreatment problems

11. simpatico

Apr 3, 2022
    Kansas City
    LOL I've thought about burning down everything I own at least once so I can sympathize. I don't remember Miller. I was up in the Bakken for Corcoran out of Williston back in 2016ish I think it was... Spent most of my time in the Mid-Con in Oklahoma 2010-2016... Ran the Permian for a while in 2018-2020ish I think but had to get the hell out, too many wrecks and the pads were starting to look like a ####### refugee camp

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.