Blowing trailer fuse clearance/tail lights

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Stonegirl, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Stonegirl

Stonegirl Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2021
    I have a 2017 peterbilt 389 day cab. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for under the hood fuse box to trailer lights. I cant figure it out ive hauled multiple trailers and same problem on 4 different trailers it varies on how long it takes for problem to happen. But as it sits right now i put a new 30 amp fuse in turn on lights instantly cooks the fuse and when i say it cooks the fuse it has melted it under my finger without popping the fuse! Also i can hear it click as soon as i turn on lights. All my truck lights work and it only is affecting my marker/clearance/tail lights. Ive tried unplugging the trailer lights from both the trailer side and the truck side of plug in the back. Im not sure if there is something that tells the power to flow to the trailer and not when its unplugged. Because it doesnt happen when i unplug from trailer either way (from truck or trailer side). You would think if it was my trailer plug it would do it still if it was unplugged from trailer or not....right but its obvious its a problem not associated with trailers im lost help please!

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Check all wiring on truck to make sure it not shorting on the frame somewhere. That's usually what it is when lights are blowing a fuse.

4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Have you ever damaged your 7 wire pigtail or the plug for it on the truck by forgetting to disconnect it and driving off?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Stonegirl

Stonegirl Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2021
    No sir brand new plug aswell

6. Stonegirl

Stonegirl Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2021
    So i found a short finder tool it willbe here tomorrow

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    You may be able to find it by getting underneath the truck and checking all that wiring tucked against the frame. Look for any exposed wire and check to make sure it not touching anything else

The Crossword Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.