Blown off road

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sterling 001, May 14, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That was Schneider, right?
    Do you live in Texas? Which city/town?
    We'll help you find a new job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Good job at keeping that truck shiny side up. These things happen over the course of a driving career. If you haven't hit a Deer or a few flat tires,ect. you will. It's easy to point fingers when you're sitting at a desk. Take it in stride

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If I'm the safety dude, just using what you posted:

Headlights on
    4 ways on
    Doing 43 in a 55

That would indicate to me that you were quite aware you were in some very bad weather conditions.

You don't need an advisory to rubber stamp it.

If you had to cross a street, and there was a snarling hungry tiger outside, would you need someone or something to tell you not to go out there?

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    It's always sunny and 70 behind the desk.

Crap occurs and situations can change dramatically in just seconds in which you have no choice but to soldier on.
    What would the safety twink have said had you parked on an exit or shoulder and were hit or blown over...same thing or worse I bet.
    Operating a high profile unit across ever changing terrain and conditions requires situational awareness and good judgment.
    Sometimes it is learned from experience and sometimes it just comes naturally.
    It's something that not all possess.

I'm sure the technology is coming for doppler units in the truck that will indicate windsheer or micro bursts. As is there are the aforementioned apps but hey..it's wind.

My issue w companies that deem an incident like this preventable or at fault is that cover all excuse is used everytime. Of course it's preventable..if you weren't there it would not have happened!
    I worked momentarily for a company that ruled a deer strike a preventable..
    I'm sure they'd rule a lightning strike or hail damage the drivers fault.

6. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    It’s always funny I’m parked at the truck stop and get a call from the office “you stopped pretty early”
    Well no ####ing ####, if I know how bad it is and it’s coming why would I drive into it.

or the reverse “there’s a hurricane warning for the area you’re in”
    Yeah and I don’t intend to be here when it arrives.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's all subjective. I drove right at that monster one that attacked Florida 3 years ago. It was was supposed to make landfall at Melbourne.

My first stop was Melbourne.

Well it stopped. Went up the coast and attacked Landstar corporate in Jacksonville instead.

The OM was pleased.

8. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    That’s a good idea. I think I may get one of those. I already have my own outward facing camera. At the time, I didn’t think I’d need one on me. I wouldn’t mind it since I’m the only one with access to the video.

9. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    I got stop in Montana on the shoulder by MTS. Montana Truck Services.
    In 2 non-consecutive month I was charged
    with talking on a handheld phone and not wearing seatbelt.
    The video proved they were lying trough their rotten teeth.
    The last trainee that got into solo driving after finishing training,
    omitted to buy one asap before going out.
    He got a citation for both infraction and and an invitation
    to meet a federal judge in Great Falls MT for sentencing.
    Totally avoidable.
    Lesson learned, I hope.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  10. chalplec

chalplec Light Load Member

May 6, 2022
    Just be glad you're safe. I had a car hydroplane up underneath my trailer in PA not even 3 months in driving and my company listed it as preventable since the safety guy determined that "you could have prevented this by not riding side by side with anybody just leave space". But it is what it is. I've applied for jobs and explained the accident and even email them copies of the police report and they've always agreed that the safety guy was smoking crack in marking this preventable. The irony is that this same safety guy believed a comedy of a lie that I tossed my hard hat up in the truck through the window and it busted the Qualcomm and totally wasn't me punching the hell out of it after them constantly pinging it and sending me alerts that I'm going to be late for a pick up while I'm sitting in line at a receiver not even unloaded yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.