BMI and Sleep apnea?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by streetmaster, Mar 12, 2012.

1. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Do a search for anti snoring mouth piece. I have been using one for several months. No more headaches when I wake up, & when I don't get woke up by truck stop noises I don't get afternoon drowsiness. A very simple & inexpensive solution to the sleep apnea farce.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hunny Bunny Trucker

Hunny Bunny Trucker Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2012
    California
    I definitely agree with you. Since I have asthma I have to be very careful about some things and while a cpap helps even me sleep better when I'm suffering the worst times for allergies I don't need it.

My understanding with sleep apnea is that the worst cases can be as bad as a serious asthma attack. Just my thoughts on the matter.

btw, what are the power requirements of a cpap? I'm just wondering because I plan to have my partner ride with me but she needs the machine to breath at night. And like your father, she's 5'2", weighs 108, and needs it. And she's under 30... >.>

48Packard Thanks this.
  4. Hunny Bunny Trucker

Apr 9, 2012
    California

sleep apnea isn't a farce dude... Tell that to my partner when she stops breathing for 5 minutes at a time...

5. jdrentzjr

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Dude, I'm not saying sleep apnea isn't real. I'm saying the number of people being diagnosed is over blown, & for most an anti-snoring mouth piece would suffice. The reason most people snore is because their lower jaw relaxes after falling asleep & obstructs breathing. A mouth piece prevents this from happening. Simple fix.

48Packard Thanks this.
  6. Jackofalltrades1977

Jackofalltrades1977 Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Salisbury, NC
    I didn't have sleep apnea when I weighed 100 lbs less and I sincerely doubt my esophageal anatomy has changed. Say what you want, but my personal history as well as my medical says it is, in many cases, related to weight.

It even makes sense on a common sense level.

7. Hunny Bunny Trucker

Apr 9, 2012
    California

^.^ My partner puts a pillow on my head when I snore too loudly. I don't blame her, I have seen the decible range hit 108 from time to time or I start sounding like a motorboat. She recorded my snores >.>

8. jdrentzjr

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    My grandfather refused to acknowledge he snored till one Christmas Santa brought a new fancy push button cassette recorder. That Christmas night after he went to bed & began his serenade I placed said recording device on his night stand. The next morning brought much joy & delight to all family members gathered at the breakfast table when I placed the recorder on the table & pressed the play button. The look on my grandfathers face was priceless. This man can still saw logs, & that morning he could no longer deny his ability.

I myself can saw logs. My wife will vouch for that. However, since I began using the anti-snore mouth piece, she can now sleep though the night when I'm home. Can't help but think this type device can help others with sleep apnea.

9. Hunny Bunny Trucker

Apr 9, 2012
    California

The problem is that a cpap forces air into the lungs which provides constant oxygen when people stop breathing. The device you're talking about doesn't do that.

And my snoring is mostly due to a mucous buildup from my bronchii and can sometimes trigger an asthma attack in itself. I'm asthmatic, and a device that forces my mouth to stay open can do very bad things if I happen to have an asthma attack overnight.

It's not for everyone, just like albuterol sulfate or albuterol bromide. Both are rescue inhalers. One works for me. The other is worthless. And the allergy meds out there can make it worse too instead of better. It's all about what works and what doesn't work. But I'd rather not have a serious asthma attack while I have anything in my mouth.

Just my two cents.

10. jdrentzjr

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    You are correct it probably is not for everyone. While you can still breath through the mouth with the device, it is not required. I sleep with my mouth closed & do fine. My only goal was to bring attention to an alternative. It's up to each individual to decide if it may be worth trying.

11. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    No fed reg yet for sleep tests..

Breathe rite strips work well for snoring..cheap and easy, just remember to take it off when you wake up :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.