Bobtail new truck from TX to GA: weigh stations?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Old Hullabaloo, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Old Hullabaloo

Old Hullabaloo Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Hello!
    I bought a truck (semi-tractor) in Texas. I have bill of sale and title. I want my friend (with CDL) to drive the truck to Georgia.
    1. Does he have to stop at weigh stations? (This tractor weighs under 14K.)
    2. He will have bill of sale, signed permission from me, and trip insurance. And his CDL. Does he need more paperwork? (Truck has IFTA from the old owner and registration in TX; yet to be registered in GA because I want to wait until April to activate steady insurance while I do some work on the vehicle.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes, he needs trip and fuel permits and a temporary registration. IFTA is not transferable and you will be fined for dusplaying another carrier's IFTA decal. You also need an active US DOT number since this is definitely in furtherance of commerce.

He will need to run a log book, paper is ok since this is considered "driveaway". Some states require all trucks operating on permits and/or temporary registrations to stop at the weigh stations or port of entry.

The dealer should be able to issue you a driveaway permit, sometimes called a "hunters permit".

Many folks just say f-it and run home without proper credentials and get away with it, likely you would but if you get caught the fines are expensive. It may be better to just pay a driveaway service to delier it to you, they are licensed and insured for this type of move.

If you chose to move it yourself, make sure your friend is declared on your temporary insurance otherwise they may deny any claim for loss to your truck if he wrecks it.

4. Old Hullabaloo

Old Hullabaloo Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019
    I called JJ Keller and they agreed that trip and fuel permits were needed for TX and GA. Alabama, Miss, and Louisiana were ok with just buyer paperwork and proof of insurance. They were ready to sell me these permits.
    But then I checked with the insurance again. The temporary insurance issues a certificate that covers all permitting, temporary tag and registration. National Independent Truckers Insurance Company.

5. roadmap65

roadmap65 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2015
    How is NITIC going to give you a temp tag and registration ? Something doesn’t sound right. Couple questions . Will the title be in your name or your company? Will the insurance be in your name or Company?

KB3MMX and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I did this this past year, Texas to Tennessee. What I was told by TN DOT and what I did was tape the temp tag clearly visible inside my windshield on the dash, make some temp cards with DOT and MC#, keep insurance and truck sale paperwork in with me. I went right through every scale, got stopped and one and told them out the window what I was doing and got waved through.

Old Hullabaloo and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. biofumes

biofumes Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    If you were to use a drive away service instead, who would be the most reliable company to do so?

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    There are many to chose from, I would stay away from the real small outfits as they may not have the manpower available to move the truck quickly. I have head horror stories from my truck dealer friends about long delays getting sold units moved.

Bennett Truck Transport has a good reputation and I know they move used trucks for single customers. Also, if this is thru a truck dealer ask them if they have a company to recommend. Example, Rush Truck Centers exclusively use Truck Movers and can arrange the driveaway for you, wrapping the cost into the finance cost.

9. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Month old post so pretty sure the original poster figured out how to get the truck home.
    But, In case someone else has the same issue, if it were me I would put a not for hire non commercial use only sticker on the door and be done with with it. The guys doesn’t have any insurance, has not immediate plans to make commercial so at this point he would be just a private citizen with a rig. No DOT #, IFTA, fuel permits or anything else required. In GA take the vin # and the bill of sale to the BMV and get an in transit tag.

10. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    You have to have insurance on public road, other then that yes, you are private vehicle, no IFTA DOT etc. needed. Also you have to enter weight stations due to weight.
    I drove from Alaska through Canada all the way to Indiana with load of my personal belongings, including car.

11. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Correct. I forgot about the insurance and yes enter weight stations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.