Booking a load. Google reviews. Getting cold feet about it.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, May 18, 2021.

How easy is it for you cancel?

1. I do cancel whenever I feel like, I could not care less, no commitment. I give a lame reason too.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. I cancel but have qualms after, feel bad about it.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. I cancel and am straight about it with a broker.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. I cancel only when there is no other way e.i. break down or previous load delay

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yet, there are places with good reviews and also Siergieys, Ivan's and Mehmets wrote them as good too.

Someone who can write a review usually can also read a rate con.

I would say that it is not illiteracy but rather deceptive tactics of carriers sending their drivers to a place with a made up appointment and also brokers who do the same.
    E.G. A broker posted a load for $1000 on a 200 miles with next morning delivery appointment. All is good. Then at the gate it turns out that the appointment is scheduled for 5: 00 am the next day which is a game changer.

Coffey Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Honoring commitment, yes, on a personalized level with a broker. It would be unthinkable for me to bounce off a load from a broker/a person who I know long enough for a reason such as a few dollars more on another load.

Other than that, the way I look at it, is that commitments as honorable matters, should be honored among allies in times of war, in marriages, in families, in military service, in police, firefighters, medical rescuers jobs etc. On the spot market...'honorable matters' don't exist, for the most part. Quite the contrary.
    So, for example, if I book a load from Uber Freight and then I see another load for 50% more and I decide to go for it, it is not an honorable matter to me. Neither, do I regard this as a work ethics issue. Of course, as long as you give them at least a day to recover...

Also, there's no reason they should keep the truck at a loading dock for more than three hours, unless it is specifically stated at the time of booking. I would have no qualms to leave, if they can't load a truck within 3 hours, especially when they act like I owe them sitting there: no explanation, no reason, no apologies.
    Most of the time, I do sit though, simply because it is already too late to find anything better or the load still pays too good to bail like that.

baha Thanks this.
  4. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Nah I dump a load if I need to . I have had many cancel on me so stuff happens oh well . I do my best to not cancel last minute.

ready2truck and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Reviews do help making a decision. I always ask who the shipper/receiver are. I have some ground rules I adhere too, things like no lumpers, no grocery warehouses, no dropped trailers, certainly no excessive waiting.

86scotty and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  6. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I'll drop a load like a hot potato.

danny23tx and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I used to have more honor until this business beat it out of me. It depends on a lot of things but I have cancelled before, I would say I have probably cancelled 1 a year on average in my 4 years at this. Asking lots of questions helps you avoid it. I ask the same stuff @TheLoudOut does.

Why would I be ok with cancelling a load? Mostly from working with a broker/brokerage that has done it to me. I run an average of about 1 load per year for TQL for instance, because they suck, and wouldn't have any issues cancelling with them if one of their kids, I mean agents, lied to me about what I was getting in to. A lie for a lie.

TallJoe and danny23tx Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I suspect cancellations decided on a whim are more common in a dry van world than any other segment. Too easy to untangle yourself from an unwanted deal. The anonymity between a carrier and broker and the lack of interests in doing business together after the deal, makes it much easier too. Also, if the rate is decent enough, it should not be a problem to recover the load, provided that there's enough time left.
    On an ethical scale, this practice is certainly low but still less ugly than such things as double brokering, canceling already a dispatched truck, paying the standard $250 layover, $150 TONU, or $35 per hour detention and still making you jump through hoops and loops to get it.

9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Oh BTW
    I just delivered in Acme/Safeway in Denver, PA
    8 hours...
    The reviews could not describe this place better and be more accurate.
    0 ####ing stars for this Kolkhoz. Unless they pay you ten bricks of gold, avoid this place like a plaque.
    Seriously, I wish I had cancelled...

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have been to that place many years ago as a company driver and some stuff never changes. Another one to never book or cancel if you failed to ask who it was delivering to is Wakefern in NJ.

Tug Toy and TallJoe Thank this.
  11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I have never canceled a load based on reviews, but have thought about it. I have always gotten lucky too, but I’m sure there will be that one someday that will change my mind.

I’ll take loads into known bad customers, but the rate will reflect it or I don’t book it.

86scotty and TallJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.