Books at truck stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by p0pachery, Dec 29, 2009.

1. bubba mark

bubba mark Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009

The Kindle is awesome. My wife got me one for christmas last year.

beboppinbigun1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    I'm debating between a Kindle and a Nook right now. I read alot, and I only go home 2-3 times a year. That makes for a lot of books stacked up around my truck. Takes up too much space, and also adds weight. Reading on a computer hurts my eyes after a while, but the e-book readers are designed not to. I'm just waiting for the reviews on the Nook to come out and hear what people think of it before deciding which one to buy.

Back to the OP, books at truckstops are limited. Once in a great while I will see a used book rack and they tend to have a greater variety. As for most stops, though, it's a small selection of westerns and thrillers and that's about it.

One thing you may run into (I see it occasionally at Swift) is unofficial book trading at your company's terminals. I get most of my books from my mom who buys them at flea markets and used book stores, reads them, then passes them on to me. She doesn't care about getting them back, so once I've read them, I just leave it on a table at a Swift terminal and let some other driver have it. I've picked up a few books myself this way.

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  4. Pfuse

Pfuse Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    La Crosse, WI
    I know this thread is really old, but I'd like to add something for future readers and maybe the OP if he is still reading this. If you buy a Nook you can download out of copyright books from Google for free. Obviously, not everything is available, but as of this post they have around 3 million that are free or cheap.

5. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Just want to add that I have had a Kindle for a couple of months now, and if you are a truck driver that likes to read, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

You can download a book (and most of the classics are free) anywhere there is cell phone service! And you can read for hours with no eye strain.

6. MrsDeputyDog

MrsDeputyDog Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Aurora, CO
    I bought the husband a NOOK. My kids have kindles. So much easier than loading the truck up with books, due to storage space. On the NOOK...the classics are free. I load the books they want for the next trip during home time. Just a thought from another bookaphile!

7. MrsDeputyDog

MrsDeputyDog Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Aurora, CO
    The new nook also can support magazine subscriptions in color.

HFC Thanks this.
  8. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    An Ipod or MP3 player, and downloaded audiobooks from Itunes or Audible.

I learned 2 languages, web business, finance, and passed thousands of boring driving hours that way.

Conventional books (interesting ones anyway) tend to be cumbersome, and hard to find on the road - even at Walmart.

9. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Can you recommend a language audio program?

I have picked up a bit of German from a decent podcast but I'd be interested in a better more thorough program.

Also if it includes the written text of what I'm listening to I think it would help me for practice and review of more difficult words and phrases. It would be nice if I can learn the written spelling anyway so I'm not just learning the verbal. The few things I do know I'm not even sure I could spell correctly.

10. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't tried it, but Rosetta Stone is supposed to the best.

11. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Rosetta Stone also looks crazy expensive. :biggrin_2554:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.