Bought a 359 Peterbilt with a Detroit 8v92. Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmer with a truck, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I stand corrected then, I have changed engine oil. In a number of old trucks that that same type of canister for a Luberfiner oil filter.

mslashbar and wore out Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmer with a truck

Farmer with a truck Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2018
    NE
    You're not wrong. Some guys used engine oil in them to cut down on cost and having to carry 2 different fluids. And it all depended on what it was used for. Some used them for a secondary oil filter/cooler and some were for the power steering fluid/cooler.

x1Heavy and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was not going to get too involved in that secondary oil can.

Some of the older Iron carried a small box in which you made sure you kept oil in. Either behind the cab next to the Exhaust or on the right of engine block inside steer frame. Legions of Instructors in those days hit me on the head with the clipboard to pound in the lesson, thy shalt fill this small can of oil.

###### if I know what the can is ever for.

No wonder I aint learned anything. =)

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Sorta, I have seen oil in the power steering of older stuff. Fact is it's still in mine. Those power steering tanks like that are pretty #### rare, sorta valuable. 9 outta 10 trucks have a lubefiner engine oil filter there. In a tank that looks real similar. It was the answer at the time to help with soot. Just to share info on trucks with a brake saver dont use it to stop then get within a foot of the lubefiner, they get bad hot. I will say Cummins and CAT trucks were more prone to the lubefiner can versa the power steering

Farmer with a truck and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    My experience with Luberfiner began on a 1970 Pete that, if memory serves, had the square box on the passenger side for the air filter system, and the Luberfiner on the driver's side.

It had a 318 (8V71).

Farmer with a truck and wore out Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.