Bought a truck, need to get it from Indianna to Michigan.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by tommymonza, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    That truck of yours is going to have lot rot and be darn near unrepairable if you do not go get it. Or the original owner is going to sell it to someone that will get it off the property. Drive it, there is nothing that will bother you between Indiana and Grand Rapids. I drove my current truck all the way from Seattle to Detroit with an expired temp tag taped in the windshield. And no clue who you are speaking to about insurance. I found temp insurance easily, made a few phone calls and it was done. I was not leased on with anyone and had parked my authority. This was in 2013. I don't think things have changed that much out here.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    About 3.5 years ago, CDL was also around 8 months old
    I did not pay any sales tax, did not transfer the title and I am not sure what do you mean by "use designation"

Rideandrepair and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    If I can get non commercial liability from progressive I would like to get a temp tag.

5. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Ok mich.gov states on their site you can drive without a plate as long as vehicle goes directly to storage location from point of sale .

Rideandrepair and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    So did you continue to run the truck as Rolling stock exempt after you put the plates on it?

IRP?

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I think you are a bit confused on this and confusing me too. Trucks used for interstate operation are always tax exempt in MI. You can even write yourself a tax exempt form and buy parts for that truck from parts stores without paying sales tax

8. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    You don’t pay sales tax on commercial vehicles. As long as it gets used 80% outside of the state where it’s registered. At least that’s how it is in Idaho.

Rideandrepair and tommymonza Thank this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    In Michigan you do not pay sales tax on a commercial vehicle. All of your tags and registration is done through the Lansing IRP office located off Crowner Rd in Lansing, down the street from the MSP Headquarters. It is off Lansing Ave., just S if I-96. I believe this is their number.
    +1-517-322-1097

Do not go to your local SOS office, they cannot help you.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    The OP will never make it as an O/O, he doesn't even have the nuts to drive truck home for a total of less than 200 miles.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  11. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Being a sailor of 50 years and liscenced captain for 30 of those growing up in SW Florida , I have done enough risky Ventures.

If you can read between the Lines.

No need to do anything stupid, simply because I need to get the truck home.

Past owner is in no hurry for it to move. I am to busy with work and dealing with my fathers medical issues and his business in Florida to worry about the truck right now.

Just picking everyone's Brains looking for an answer.

I put the cart before the horse buying the truck right now , but it's clean and well maintained and it was time to pounce.

Rideandrepair and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.