Box Truck Mileage and Fuel Reporting

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckingM, Feb 11, 2024.

1. TruckingM

TruckingM Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2024
    Hello,
    Hoping someone point me in the right direction. Been in trucking for several years and have my own authority. Up until recently I have only had a sleeper truck and have been reporting and filing my fuel and mileage to IFTA without issues. I have just purchased a box truck and use that mainly to run Amazon loads. My business is registered in NC and have been running the box truck in NC and VA so far.

My question is, should I be tracking and reporting the fuel purchases and mileage for the box truck to IFTA as well? I was under the impression I didn't need to because the gross weight of the truck is under 26,000 pounds. Just trying to make sure I am reporting correctly and understanding the do's and don'ts.

Any help with this or links to the information I need is greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    There are questions that have to be answered here. Is the box truck crossing state lines? Does it have an apportioned plate? If yes, then IFTA would apply. IF the truck stays in one state then your fuel taxes are paid at the pump with no need to file unless your state requires mileage reporting.

4. TruckingM

TruckingM Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2024
    The truck does cross state lines on occasion. It has NC For Hire plates.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No, under 26,001 gvw, you do not have to report ifta and you don’t need an apportioned plate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.