Boy did I luck out!

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by MooneyBravo, Dec 17, 2019.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    My last load delivered in Chesapeake Virginia today. I had five 1500's and 1 Blazer.
    Before I had unloaded the first 1500 I ran into trouble. The first truck to come off was only a 2 door 2-wheel drive with a long bed. I guess I got a little bit careless with keeping the momentum going over the bumps. It was also raining moderately during this time. The second time it sllid over to the right I knew I was in big trouble. I got out of the truck to take a peek and the body was butted up against the hydraulic cylinder. The truck was split over the shotgun between two decks.

I thought for sure that I would have to call a wrecker but as I thought about it I realized that the reason it slid over to begin with is because there was no weight back there in the bed. It was a long shot but I decided to unwind one of the straps and connect it to the leaf spring and place the hook in the floor. It took a lot of cranking using two different ratchets and straps but I somehow managed to pull it over to the middle of the deck. When I disconnected both of the straps I managed to back it off the truck. I got out and looked and there was absolutely no damage anywhere to be found.

The only downfall to this whole idea is with the hook connected to the leaf spring and the other hook down in the floor I was actually pulling down towards the floor of the deck. I think I'm going to have to find a type of strap that I can wrap around a wheel and place the hook through there so that I'm pulling more straight From the Bottom rather than pulling down.

Those decks are designed so there will be minimal sliding. It may be a matter of just getting some sort of a chain with rings on the end and being able to make some sort of sleeve to go around it so that I can wrap it around a wheel without damaging anything. I can't tell you when the last time was that this happened but it sure would be nice to be prepared next time. How nothing God damaged is nothing short of amazing.
    I sure did luck out this time!

Tropsnart and Hammer166 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    A chain and ratchet binder works good to move a car sideways

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    you need a snatch block like wreckers use

5. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    What's a snatch block?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The friends of the woman you're trying to pick up at the bar.

xsetra, magoo68, p608 and 6 others Thank this.
  7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Dang it !! Just snorted Pepsi through my nose !!

8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Does that mean I'm off the ignore list now?

10. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I keep a click or two on the e brake with a 2 wd in slippery conditions. If you do spin, it'll keep from going all wonky on you.

MooneyBravo Thanks this.
  11. yellowzjs

yellowzjs Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2014
    j

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.