Boyd bros for newbs.

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by 2dizzy, May 11, 2010.

1. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    Just wanted to throw in that I am slated to attend orientation in Birmingham on June 2nd.

I was a former Boyd driver myself back in 2008 and honestly my reason for leaving was my own.

I can say that while I was there that I ran decent miles and was home weekly if I wanted to be; there were some weekends that I requested to work.

The equipment was decent and most of the other drivers there were helpful. Boyd has there fair share of problems but you will find that anywhere. I guess like anything else its what you make of it.

I'm not sure how they are doing right not but I can tell you that they lowered driver wages. When I was there before I was making .42cpm but now they top out at .40cpm. Tarp pay is still $18.00 and most everything else looks about the same.

They will require you to get your TWIC card and you will have to pay for it. They also require you to purchase a lot of gear up front like hard hats, acc kits, breaker bars, etc. They payroll deduct it at a few dollars a week. I thought it was funny when I started there that I actually had to pay to go to work for them.

I look forward to meeting up with any of you attending on June 2nd in Birmingham.

kickin chicken and Baack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Thanks, justanothercrzytrkdrvr:)

Keep us posted as to your progress as well.

Best of Luck!!!

Baack Thanks this.
  4. whiskeybent

whiskeybent Bobtail Member

May 13, 2010
    hey 2dizzy. I will be there on june 2nd. I am from bristol, tn. As far as pay. they pay .35 cents a mile. 2200-2300 miles a week. They also have per deim and stop off pay. They pay detention pay at 14.00 hr. after 3 hours.
    Go to.......bestfleetstodrivefor.com and look at their awards. BEST CO. TO DRIVE FOR. Won it in march of this year. The other 2 companies that is was looking at ( maverick and mcelroy) didnt even get nominated. So yes, I think Boyd is a great choice. see ya on the 2nd

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  5. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    That's a good article! It speaks volumes about the company.

My only concern is the miles and whether they are consistent. It doesn't matter what your making per mile if your making any miles. I made good miles when I was with them before but that was before the economy went south.

I haven't seen or heard anything on the forum about miles or anything else for that matter.

As for whiskeybent and 2dizzy - are you guys going to Birmingham or Cincinatti for orientation?

6. whiskeybent

May 13, 2010
    hey justanothercrzytrkdrvr. This is whiskeybent and I will be attending the orientation in birmingham, Al. on june 2nd.
    so you worked for boyd before. What is their orienttion like and what are the trainers like? I am just out of a driving school and boyd was my main choice. so far every one I have talk to on the phone has been very nice and helpful. I am like you. They told me 2200 - 2300 miles per. week. but I just wonder if that is consistant ?

7. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx

8. whiskeybent

May 13, 2010
    Thank you for your reply. see ya in birmingham

9. whiskeybent

May 13, 2010
    I will be at boyd brother orientation on june 2nd. Has anyone been to a recent orientation in the last 3 months or is anyone there now. Just wanting some info on their orientation and their driver/trainers.

Thank you:biggrin_25514:

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  10. 2dizzy

2dizzy Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2010
    lebanon, ky
    Ah.... well wiskey i guess we wont meet up,...Im heading to cincy june 2nd,....Its almost here...cant wait to get eastbound and down.......Im pretty exited about em, i dunno id say its like anything or anywhere, it will be what you make of it.

11. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    Have fun in Cincy....atleast they have a different guy doing orientation up there now; not to mention a cute lil' DM by the name of Christa working there!

Cory the terminal manager is pretty cool. He just takes some getting use to I guess.

Unless they have remodeled the office in cincy it isn't much to look at. It's a two story bldg with the offices on the second floor and the two bay shop underneath. There is a shower and drivers break area but again don't have high hopes! LOL

I'm not sure if they use the same hotel or not but it's not so bad. There are several places to eat within walking distance. The guy that runs the taxi service for them up there is ok, you don't have to pay him but he has no problems letting you know he expects a tip! Be sure you call him and let him know when to pick you up at the bus station. I'd suggest calling him again as you are rolling in to cincy so you don't have to wait around.

Anyway, good luck to you dizzy and keep us posted on how things are going.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.