Boyd Brothers: B'ham Bound

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by bill3_us, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bill3_us

bill3_us Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Benton,ky
    My name is William "Bill" Lansford. I am starting this thread in hopes to provide information and knowledge of my time with Boyd Brothers Transportation. I plan on doing this as a continual thread; and persons with more up to date info can add in as relevant. I would appreciate it if those with negative comments not reply, but if you have negative experiences with Boyd; please feel free to inform followers. The whole idea behind this thread is to give both experienced and new drivers info not found on Boyd web site, and a honest perspective of life as a driver for Boyd.

Now just a little info about myself. I am a 44yr who has been in the medical fields for the last 22+ years.. I was trained in the military as a medic and combat nurse. Then in the civilian world I continued as a NREMT-P and Nurse. other then 3 years in CCU, all my time as been in emergency care. I left Nursing in 2010 to follow my dream of being a driver. After 6months w/ Maverick, I had to return to nursing due to my wife having a serious illness and I needing to be at home. Well my wife had surgery and has been in remission for over 1 yr now. So back to driving I go.. I went to PTL to start, and anyone interested I have a thread on that thread column re: my time there. I realized that I really liked flatbedding much better then bumping docks, so thus left to go back into flatbedding. I was going to return to Maverick, but Boyd was able to get me to oreintation quicker; more on that in a few. So now the thread starts.

So how did I come to find Boyd and look to them as a potential employer. Well it was quite accidental. I had already put my notice in at PTL; which for those of you new drivers(i'm still new) always give notice and return your equipment, and had contacted Maverick about returning with everything at Maverick was in process. I ran into a Boyd driver and we struck up a conversation about flatbedding and he was very positive about his time (about 3years) at Boyd. He asked for my contact info and asked if he could forward it to recruiting, I said sure. 2 days later I get a call from a Boyd recruiter, her name is Jennie. She asked what I was wanting in my driving career, days home, and pay. She then informed me of Boyds offerings and asked if I would be interested. I told her about Maverick and that I may still be interested. she e-mailed me a link to fill out an application and electronicly signed PSP release. Mean while Maverick was also doing their thing to get me back in. Well I finished off and returned my truck/ equipment to PTL and had expected to be going to Maverick the following wk. Well to make a long story short, Maverick has not received my DAC from PTL as of yet. Despite my calling PTL and following up daily. 5 days ago, jennoe called to check on me, and find out if I was going to Maverick. I let her know what Maverick was waiting on. She then informed me that hse had everything back and could offer me .40cpm, 1500 sign on, insurance, and be in oreintation Mon 8/12. I asked about PTL DAC, she informed me that Boyd was not concern with that, that PTL is always slow and they have 30 days to report on your DAC. So thus the DAC from current / recent employer not considered. I told her thank you and would keep Boyd in mind. I then called Maverick to let them know about the offer from Boyd and what Jennie informed me of the DAC. The recruiter at Maverick said that is true, and that company policy is to get all DAC reports before inviting anyone to oreintation. So I have called daily since, and today after being informed that no DAC available, I chose to go to Boyd. Remember that I applied to Maverick 2 1/2 wks ago to return.

Once I made the decision, I called Jennie and asked to go to oreintation Monday. She said great and then went over all the info needed for oreintation. She was very straight forward, and answered most questions. Those that she couldn't answer, she offered to find out and call me back, which she has. I then went to the computer about 30min later and had an e-mail from Jennie. Bus ticket and oreintation info. I then received a call from a Mrs. Nix, recruiting supervisor welcoming to the Boyd family and asked if I had any questions or concerns. So far they have been swift and thourough in re: hiring me. Jennie has been fantastic and patient, very understanding about the concerns I had. So far so good.

I will try to update this thread daily, but due to internet connection, runs, and misc. issues it may not happen. Otherwise, hope to have more Monday night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Glad all is well with your wife. Hope you enjoy Boyd. All the drivers seem to enjoy them.

4. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Betty Nix is great, you will meet her in orientation. I enjoyed my time there. If Uncle Dave is still doing orientation just watch your p's and q's, he's dry and stern. He gives the road test the first day. Get through the nerves when you get in the truck, do exactly as he says. I think he tries to choke you up just to see how you'll handle it.

5. bill3_us

Jul 17, 2010
    Benton,ky
    TY for the heads up. I dont get to nervous about to much, so hopefully I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to it, and getting back into skateboarding!

6. bill3_us

Jul 17, 2010
    Benton,ky
    Well i decided to drive down to oreintation, that way I can take all my gear and stock my truck on assignment.. i will take my step son with me later to retrieve my POV.. This also let's me leave out anywhere they me need me instead of routing back to the house right out of oreintation. Hopefully get my miles up right of the bat.

7. bill3_us

Jul 17, 2010
    Benton,ky
    Well first two days down. I'm going to go indepth on oreintation, seeming that is what most persons will probably be interested in.
    Started at 0630, shuttle bus picks you up at the hotel. Arriving at Boyd terminal you are first introduce to Wade. Wade is the terminal manager and runs the owner op program. You will then be lead upstairs to the class room. Ther you will officially meet Dave, he happens to be the one who drives the shuttle. He will go over the days schedule. The first 2-3 hours is spent on computer work and getting all your paper work in order. Dave is kinda flat affect, and expects people to follow directions. He will call a person out and stop class if he finds you not listening or not following directions. He is prior military and that is evident in his demeanor and anyone that has been to basic will recognize his instructional method. Don't get me wrong, he does a great job and class runs quick. Then after the paper work we started being pulled for iTunes, and physicals. When filling out you long form, any condition listed needs to be managed by a phycisian. And if you tell then you snore, the will send you home for sleep apnea study. High blood pressure is streetct and they check it several times. Afte cleared for agility test you will be sent down to the exercise room and meet the PT. They will explain the agilty test and demonstrate it to you. First is a B/P and HR. The range of motion of head, neck, arms, and legs. Then you do a step test on to box. Then crouching and reading signe under the table. Then do a crouch and roll a tarp about 10 ft and back. Climb a ladder 3 times. The lft a 65# tarp then lifting a 90# tarp 3 times. The hardest part was standing on one ft for 30 seconds. You have to do each foot, and it sucked. Anyway, once done back up stairs and more paper work and computer stuff. Then road test. Dave will give you a price of paper with the driving expectations. Then you will do a basic backing, right turns and Boyd shifting to save fuel. Then lunch. PIZZA.. Thenn more paper work and computer stuff. They also go over th insurance and explain in-depth the options. We were taken back to the hotel around 1730. Very long day.

Tue. Started the same, when we arrived we graded 2 test. Then we did are insurance. Tue. went fairly fast. We coem communicaions equipment and can text. That took us up to lunch. After lunch we started on securement and fmcsr Regs. Then back to hotel. We also were given 2 shirts and a hat. Everything has been good thus far, and Boyd has been very good. Just as good as Maverick.

Will get some sleep and fill you all in tom.

Suptrkr Thanks this.
  8. bill3_us

Jul 17, 2010
    Benton,ky
    Well oreintation is done. I am going to Cincinatti to get my truck, a 2012 International ProStar. Will have my step-son drive me up Sun.
    I will now go over the last three days of oreintation.

Wed. started again at 0630 with shuttle ride to terminal. Upon arrival we did more computer work and handbooks. Then at 0730 we went to the main conference room to take part and observe the daily corperate meeting. They discussed safety, trucks, employee issues and fleet issues as well as sales and load projections. Kinda neat to see what happens from the office side. Though not endepth, we were informed that at anytime we were at the terminal we could go to any meetings and sit with our FM to observe. They spoke of open door and that drivers are the base line of all operations. After that back to class. We covered the HOS, PeopleNet, and then securements. Had lunch and then that afternoon we went out to the yard. We worked on rolling Boyd tarps, they are different then most tarps. The main tarp is called a "Comb Tarp". It is 2ft wider and 4ft longer then a coil tarp. It has 5ft drop sides and can cover a 24ft load. 2 of them together can cover a standard plywood/ gypsum load 5ft tall x 48ft long. Kinda nice, you don't have to use a lumber tarp. If you do get a 8ft tall lumber load then you will need to use their lumber tarps. They have 8'6" drops on the sides to fully enclose cargo. They roll differently, but the end result is the same. Then we worked on basic securements.

Thursday was about the same, only we spent most of the day in the yard. More securements and learning Boyds requirements; which if anyone is wanting to know, it is exactly how the FMSCR book dictates. No "what ifs" or "can bes".. We continued securement and practiced tarping until time to return to the hotel.

Today we returned, was each informed of the plan for us. Experienced drivers with flatbed experience received truck assignments and where to pick them up. My room mate received his here in Birmingham. Mine is in Cincinatti. Then I spoke with my Fleet Manager(FM).. his name is Jeff, very nice guy, he told me when I needed to be there and ready to roll. Told me to be ready to take load Monday morning. So I'm here at home and having my step-son drive me up Sun. I will get my truck, inspect, and inventory it. Sleep there in my truck then be ready early Mon. morning.. Non-expeirence drivers had to stay over the weekend in the hotel and will start full-on securement classes Monday. Student drivers were assigned driver trainers and when/where to meet up with them. They will go out for 5 weeks with a trainer, then come back to home terminal to do final load securement classes and test out. If you have a birth certificate and our a experienced driver with flatbed experience bring it. They will send you and pay for your passport and twic card.

Now my eval of Boyd, not that anyone asked or cares.

I have found that Boyd is a family and faith based company. I appreciate and glad I chose to come here. I believe that as long as my miles and pay is decent, I may have found my home for trucking. I will be honest and say that before coming, I was quite hesitant and desired to return to Maverick. But by coming and learning what I have; that Boyd is just as dedicated to safety, family, and team spirit. They also have top of the line safety equipment on the trucks. They also focus heavily on fuel savings by offering a MONTHLY bonus for good MPG. They expect drivers to be professional and provide drivers that opportunity and tools to do it. The simple fact that they have kept this a family owned and focused company; they have also been able to keep the ideals of faith and god in the company. The COO is the grandson of the founder and welcomed us his self to the company. He also worked in the trenches before he became the COO. So he knows what it's like to do the job. The open door policy that you hear from most companies I feel is a reality here, only time will truly tell.

Well I hope this helps, and I will continue this thread with my trips and adventures as I can. If anyone is thinking Boyd and this thread helps make that decision; please used me as your referal. And yes their is a referal bonus just to be upfront about it.

Anyways, drive safe and make every decision as if your family will be next you on the road.

DE36535 and daddy2twins Thank this.
  9. w4cdw

w4cdw Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    Glad you're liking it. Been here 4 months. Be forewarned we have been short on miles, but so far they have treated me well. You'll have Kevin Allen as your first dispatcher, he might get on your nerves a bit but in reality he's a great guy. FYI they are pretty lax on letting you customize your truck also for your comfort.

I have a power inverter, fridge, tv, satellite dish etc in mine

10. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    If you think Kevin is a great guy keep that attitude up. Bill do you know your truck number? My last truck was 7779. If you get a double stack of plywood and you can pyramid you can get away with two combo tarps. Once you get your passport get the Canada loads. They are easy for the extra pay. Gwynn will handle all the paperwork for you. She is the best there is. Calvin, Mark and John are the best in service. Always try to do your service there.

11. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh yeah, always send in the macro for directions. Some of them are wrong but some of them will give you tips as the navigation units will get you in trouble. I updated a few of them myself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.