Boyd Lease Purchase drivers?

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by teampitts3, Apr 20, 2009.

1. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    No problem southbuckeye80. One of the problems most people have with Boyd L/P deal is that you can't pick your own loads. What I've done in that case is to tell my DM that I wanted more miles and she's willing to get sales to look for other loads for me.

I hope that helps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Odd, my govnor is set at 72. SHHHHHHH

4. slapshot

slapshot Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2012
    wherever I may roam

Sorry to call u out on this but as a Boyd driver myself I hate to see other boyd drivers misleading others.
    Somethings wrong with your numbers.
    2686 x .95cpm = 2551.70
    2686 x .56 fsc = 1504.16
    Total= 4055.86
    2686 / 7mpg= 383gals.
    383 x 3.65= 1397.95 fuel
    4055.86 total rev
    -1397.95 fuel
    -435 truckpayment
    = 2222.91
    So how did u clear 2240 when we haven't even subtracted truck ins., ifta , peoplenet rental , tarp rental, etc. etc. Actually my numbers are wrong too since I gave u the fsc. for all miles dh and loaded and 7mpg. See I talked to Steve Breidikeit too. The truth is that on a good week you'll make 1500 next week 100. That's the game Boyd plays and when freight is slow you'll pull Wal-Mart since Boyd will favor co. drivers

5. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Sorry for getting back to this so late. I thought the email notification would have sent me a message to my phone but back to business. First thing first, I never mislead anybody and those drivers that know me, know I speak the truth. Why because I show them my pay sheet with everything on it. Matter of fact Steve and now Wade could of told you around April to look up truck 11610 and they would of told you I made that much.
    Second, your fuel surcharge is wrong. You multiply your mpg by the fuel surcharge minus the price at the pump for every gallons. That's why you can't seem to figure out the numbers correctly. And last but not least I don't always get a 7 mpg with every load that week nor do I get every fuel at. 3.639 gal. If its cheaper some where else, that's where I'm going.

6. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Let's use your numbers, then my numbers.

Your's

7mpg X.56= 3.92 per gal FSC
    3.92FSC-3.65gal= +.27 Boyd owe you
    Now for you numbers so far, Boyd will never owe you money for fuel.

Mine

5.5mpg average of fleet X.56= 3.08 per gal FSC
    7 mpg week average of my truck X.56=3.92 per gal FSC
    3.92 FSC-4.14 DOE (average in 1st week in April)= .22/gal average I pay at the pump that week.

Now with my numbers, it makes a little more sense how fuel surcharge works. Price at the pump could of been .15 cents higher or more.So let's just add .15 cent to the DOE average for pump price.

Your's

2686X.95=$2551.70
    383X3.65=$1397.95 in fuel at the pump.
    383X3.92=$1501.36 in savings that week.
    $1397.95-$1501.36=$103.41 that Boyd owe you which Boyd will never owe you for fuel.

Now one thing you should know, Boyd fuel surcharge will never be more then the DOE of that week.

Mines

2686X.96=$2578.56
    383X4.29=1643.07 is average cost of fuel for the week.
    383X3.92 =$1501.36 how much I saved with a 7 mpg week.

Now thats if the fsc of .56 was true. So your average fuel at 3.65/gal with a .56 fsc not only paid for all of $1397.65 of the fuel surcharge but also has Boyd owing you an additional $103.41. You shouldnt had any problem making that plus more because i didnt include none of the extras. Another thing 2686 miles/383 gals equals 7 mpg. That wasn't given, that's just math.

Now my weekly deduction fixed is $679.62

$435 truck payment
    $14.62 Physical Damage Insurance
    $8.08 Auto Liability Insurance
    $40 Occupational Accident Insurance
    $145.72 Health Insurance (Family)
    $17.70 PeopleNet
    $18.50 tarp rental

2578.56 rate - 141.71 in fuel (1643.07-1501.36)=$2436.85

Lets subtract some deduction

- fixed weekly deduction which is 679.62
    - tire escrow 2686X.03=80.58
    -maintence escrow 2686X.04=107.44
    =$1569.21

Lets add some extra pay.

+tarp 2 loads 2x20=40
    +3 stop pay 30+50+75=155
    +300 advance
    =$2064.21

Now using your .56 fuel surchange and added .15 cents to the DOE price of 4.14, I'm not that far off. See now the math is clear as a bright sunny day. You can make money on lease purchase. The problem is most of you guys just don't want to run those miles. Going home every weekend never paid a truck off. And by the way mines got paid off July 9th 2012, Truck 20316. Ask about it.

7. Big Moe

Big Moe Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    High-Five,

Thanks for all the information about Boyds. I have always liked that outfit and would consider pulling for them as a Co. Driver. I didnt realize that they leased to own as well. That is great for me because I am considering a lease purchase at this time.

I had a few questions to ask.

Do you make payments untill you pay off the truck? Or do you have 3 or 4 years, then you have a huge "buy out". If you cant buy out, you have to leaase another truck?

If you have to get out of the lease, what happens?

Do you pick your truck? Are they used or new?

Money Down? Credit Check? etc?

Thanks driver,

Jason.

8. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    [QUOBigMoe;3032716]High-Five,

Thanks for all the information about Boyds. I have always liked that outfit and would consider pulling for them as a Co. Driver. I didnt realize that they leased to own as well. That is great for me because I am considering a lease purchase at this time.

I had a few questions to ask.

Do you make payments untill you pay off the truck? Or do you have 3 or 4 years, then you have a huge "buy out". If you cant buy out, you have to leaase another truck?

If you have to get out of the lease, what happens?

Do you pick your truck? Are they used or new?

Money Down? Credit Check? etc?

Thanks driver,

Jason.[/QUOTE]

Hey Big Moe. I wouldn't mind answering those questions for.

1. Yes you make payments until the lease purchase is up. The length of the contracts are 2 1/2 years, 3 years and 3 1/2 years. There's only $1 buyout after you complete your lease purchase contract to get you title. Remember, you must do a lease first for 6 months before you can be eligible for lease purchase.

2. If you where to quit in the middle of you lease or lease purchase, you might get some money back if everything checks out with the truck but other then that, they don't report to none of you credit if you walk away.

3. You pick your truck and it can be new or used. I just never felt comfortable with a high payment truck. They are all pro stars tho.

4. No money down and no credit check.

9. Big Moe

Big Moe Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Thank you!

What was your situation when you started? Why did you choose Boyd? Did you ever have "bad weeks" were you didnt earn any money take-home? where does boyd primarly run? What can you do to the truck? (invertors, fuel economy mods) Older the truck, cheaper the lease? Do you need cash for your first tank of fuel? The website said "pick your own loads online, and no forced dispatch", is that true?

Thanks,

Jason.

10. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    No problem Big Moe. My situation at that time I was with Stevens Transport and them jokers never got me home like they said they would. I've been wanting to do flatbed for a long time. So there were 3 things I wanted being in the trucking industry. First was to have my own truck. Second go home when i wanted to go home. Lastly was to pull flatbed freight and start doing OD loads. TMC at the time didn't want to hire me because I wasn't 25 yrs of age, I had just turned 23. So I saw Boyd as an opportunity and went with them. My mind was set to accomplish those tasks I had set for myself even if I didn't get home like they promise. Unfortunately, I was home every weekend as a company driver, then stayed alot as a L/P driver. I had some bad weeks, but I over look those weeks because I made enough money in 3 weeks to over look that bad week. My expenses at home not high either nor do I make car payment. My girlfriend takes care of half of the bills and I take care of the other half. Boyd runs Texas up to North Dakota and everything back east of those two states. You can add things in your truck like inverters and stuff. Tampering with equipment like the engine to go pass 70mph and stuff, you might get fire as what I was told. Yeah the older the truck the cheaper the lease payments. The first tank of fuel is on them. So your first check will be big. Now for the pick your load part, I will say its just for the O/O but you can turn down loads. Now on L/P, I have pick loads before. But its was because sales knew I run my butt off and my DM always ask me what I wanted to do. I always say give me big miles. If you treat your DM with respect and show you are determine, you DM and sales will hook you up.

11. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    that was back in 2006 when i had Jay Finn as a dispatcher,ran had

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.