brake chamber

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 4noReason, Jul 7, 2018.

1. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    That spring inside is nothing to mess with unless you know what your doing. The pressure on the spring will kill you. I would replace the whole thing for $55.00 and be done with it much safer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I have yet to see spring brakes on the steer axle.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol... I had one start leaking on me just last week on the emergency side... Threw a cage bolt in it, drove to the nearest shop that was open (early Sunday morning) and had it fixed. Obviously it was still leaking after I caged it but not bad enough to drop my air pressure below 90 psi. So I just kept a close eye on my air and went a little slower than normal... After that I bought me a couple of fittings I can use to screw on the end of the air line to stop air flow completely for the next time this happens. If I hadn't have been in the middle of BFE nowhere I would have found a store to buy a new chamber and replaced it myself. They are super easy to change once someone has shown you how to measure and cut the rod to the correct length.

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    You can replace the back end. Leave the front attached to the bracket. You don't have to cut a new rod.

Saving time on the road.
    At home I replace the entire unit.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I know it can be done this way but I'm a little hesitant to mess with it... I once witness one that basically exploded in a guys hands while he was taking it apart... Scared the he'll out of everyone in the shop... Luckily no one was hurt other than a pretty smashed hand.

7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    It’s a violation, but not an OOS violation.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I've never had to do it actually. I've never had one bad enough to need it, but if I did I would cage it and get it to a shop. If I couldn't cage it I might consider backing off but some adjusters adjust much more quickly than others. If I had to do it that way I would block off both air lines, that way the brake can't tighten itself back up.

9. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Depends on the size line and fitting. I’ve used dimes several times. Used a penny once as I didn’t have a dime. Couldn’t get the penny out and had to change the line. On rubber lines vise grips are good, not so much on plastic lines.

10. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    The 20% rule is for service brakes not spring brakes, and the service brakes still work when the spring side is caged.

11. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    oh whoops. well explains why they small. ill focus on rear 4. my main thing was not to be stuck on road. $ wise for repair and if a tow needs to move me to side

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.