Brake pads stuck!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 4wheelspin, Sep 22, 2023.

1. 4wheelspin

4wheelspin Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2023
    South Carolina
    Brakes are caged but the wheels aren’t spinning. I think the brakes have been caged for so long that they stuck on even being caged.
    Now does this shield just pop off, so u call massage the brake drum with a little sledge?
    IMG_1765.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Drum brakes have brake shoes and disc brakes have brake pads. You have drum brakes. There are 2 shields. Both should have 3 bolts holding them on. See pics. The joint/gap is where the 2 shield halves meet. If the chamber is properly caged then the shoes should barely be touching the drum.

upload_2023-9-22_13-44-23.png

upload_2023-9-22_13-45-25.png

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If the brakes were caged, they weren't ever applied to begin with. Caging holds the brakes released with a special bolt.

Vampire, Dino soar, Rugerfan and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Is it possible that they cammed over and caging worked to apply a bit of brake pressure?

Unlikely I know, and certainly can't imagine that it occurred on all of them. Just a thought.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  6. 4wheelspin

Sep 13, 2023
    South Carolina
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    The brakes had been caged. But when we pulled the truck on the trailer the wheels were locked. And pulling it off of the trailer, they have been locking as well. I pulled on it with my Unimog, hoping the shoes would release when pulling it back. Maybe the truck had been sitting for too long. Anyway, I want to take those shields off and hit the drum with a small sledge and see what it sounds like.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. 4wheelspin

Sep 13, 2023
    South Carolina
    I thought that since the bolts were pretty far in that the brakes would be fully caged , but I have taken the cage bolts off and worked the rust out of the threads and will put them back on a bit tighter. Maybe releasing the pressure will take care of what is holding now. I don’t think the diff is binding. Truck is in neutral and there is no transmission anyway.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. 4wheelspin

Sep 13, 2023
    South Carolina
    I just noticed that the cage bolts that were on the brake chamber are longer than the ones used to cage with. Maybe the brake didn’t fully release with the shorter bolts they used IMG_1769.jpeg

9. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
  10. 4wheelspin

Sep 13, 2023
    South Carolina
    There is no engine or transmission, but the shifter is in neutral regardless

LameMule Thanks this.
  11. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    You could hold a 2 or 3 foot long metal rod/pipe against the drum behind the dust cover at an angle and give it a good whack with a hammer while listening for a thud or a ping kinda sound. A drum without pads against it rings like a bell compared to one with brakes applied.

Vampire, Goodysnap, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.