Brakes delay releasing when supply air

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by West bound, Jan 25, 2020.

1. West bound

West bound Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2020
    I drove a different truck then i’ve been driving and when I released the brakes put it in gear and it pulled like brakes were on. So I thought it might be trailer brakes stuck its an old hopper bottom, so i tried reverse nothing, i got out and looked and they were released so i got back in and she rolled along. Then today i was pulling a different trailer and had the same problem. Once i left truck on a hill and when i got back in I released the brakes and didn’t roll so i did nothing and just waited and after a minute i started to roll. What would cause it to delay after park brakes are released?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    When you pull your dash air valve handles out your brakes are being set.

Pushing said brake valves in releases your brakes.

Usually, when there is a delay in releasing the brakes, it means the brake springs need more time for the air to work. A common occurrence, especially in older trailers.

My tractor brakes don't always release quickly. It's just taking time for enough air pressure to build enough to compress the brake springs.

Not a big deal.

4. West bound

West bound Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Okay thanks!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sounds like the 4 way valve is sticking.

6. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Some trailers have big air tanks and small air lines to feed them. Which is has its positives if the trailer has very few leaks and is pulled everyday. It maybe that the trailers you’ve been hooking to just take that long to air up and release the brakes.

The other thing, you said that your not in you normal truck. It could be that the tractor protection valve is hanging up on this different truck and not letting full air back to the trailer initially.

7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Look at the inside of the drums for a big lip indicating that the drum inner diameter is wore out, making the ID too large. This big drum coupled with thin shoes can let the S cam try to "cam over" and jam up with a brake dragging even though your chamber has released the pushrod. Last night i had the back left corner on the trailer catch fire from this without ever feeling a thing. Dont keep changing shoes without doing the drums too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.