Bridges into NYC (from Brooklyn)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, Oct 16, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Has anyone taken Williamsburg bridge (I-278 x32a/32) into NYC from Brooklyn? My broker’s info says to take the Manhattan bridge (I-278 x29b/29). The NY trucking route documents show both of these bridges as passable. I just want to make sure and not get stuck!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive done the Williamsburg once. It's not fun.

There is staff on each end of that bridge in orange vests to make sure you are not a threat to the City. And they will hop up on your fuel tank and check you and your bills etc.

I'll just as soon stick with what I know, either the Throgs Neck, Verrazano, George Washington and Tappan Zee.

rabbiporkchop and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    I know Manhatten Bridge is good to use. I dont know about Williamsburg Bridge.

PE_T and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Both are fine. If I remember right the Manhattan bridge drops off in lower Manhattan and the Williamsburg is up a bit more. Just be on your A game when u go in

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Not sure about right now. But last year going into javitz conf center. Manhattan bridge was off limits going in, but could use going out.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think it relates to the Financial District more than anything which is below the Manhattan one level with same if you go that far down. You come out on top of the perimeter of it. The Williamsburg is a little more difficult but you can get across there once off and run the west side right up to the GWB.

It's not ideal. You would be surprised at how few 18 wheelers have a need to go onto that island. It's not that common. Just answer the questions and you will gain information you can use.

8. rulonwaholla

rulonwaholla Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2013
    your not allow with a 53 ft trailer in Manhattan you need a permit or so. Manhattan bridge you could take. the Williamsburg bridge its very tight. best bet is the manhattan bridge I usually take that one to get to the lower side upper side I take the 59 bridge witch is the one that cross you from queens to manhattan. Just have your A1 game and look at the trailer tail.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.