Bringing a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tb0n3, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I'm well aware and they're a fair bit bigger than the old ones. Basically a restyled Grom.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Indeed. Old one's were mini bikes.
    I've a bud who bought one on a whim.
    He lives in upstate NY and said it does around 52 comfortably and 62 downhill and he's 200+.lbs, but he's got the parkways so it's fine for that.
    I used to bring one of mine with in the 90s but I could put it in the lift gate trlr.
    If I was looking to bring something modern today for exploration/recreation I'd take a sub 300 pound Yamaha or Suzuki 200.
    Both under 3 grand, easy to lift/load and able to run a reasonable speed.
    My real bikes stay in the garage till hometime nowadays.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I've been looking at dual sports for both weight and something to have fun with at home. Their weights seem to be 300+lbs. I was looking at the Honda CRF 250L specifically because I wanted light and good suspension. If I get really good I can just jump on and off the trailer under engine power like trials riders.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  5. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    That looks like a TW200. They don’t get much smaller

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Okay folks. Here's the situation. I can mount a motorcycle on the bumper if it's legal. Are there any DOT regulations on objects in front of the truck bumper? As big as some of the moose bumpers are I'm optimistic. I like the idea of mounting a lighter, under 300 lbs, motorcycle to the tow hook spaces.

Farmerbob1 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not know how they would look at it, but most states (maybe all of them) have a front overhang law. All I have ever seen was 3 feet. This is for the load, I do not know about something mounted on the bumper.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    320 lbs with a full tank of gas, but the Honda 250L is reliable and can be used on road and off. I have a carrier for the front of my motorhome and carry mine up there. I can double the wife on it with ease.

RubyEagle, Farmerbob1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I've got a DR200 at a local dealer. They're 278 lbs wet. How far does the mount stick out from the bumper with tie downs? I'm toying with the idea of having lock nuts holding it in the hook mount and a fold up front to get more clearance for really tight spots.

10. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    On my motorhome I actually just put a hitch receiver on the front, basically like most pickups have on the back.
    The bike carrier just slides into it. I tow a boat on most trips, or else would use it on the back.

11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It seems like it would be pretty aggravating with it on the front, I would have to remove it every time I wanted under the hood.
    I have had an ali arc bumper for years, and never used it because of how unhandy they are.

86scotty and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.