Bringing the pooch, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mrh2008, Jul 18, 2013.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I know a couple guys in my area who do local work with big dogs in the truck, one has a Doberman the other a lab, one guy used to bring his parrot to work, had a special cage/swing for him, it would sit over the passengers seat all day. Neither my current dog or previous one were trucking dogs, the noise wasn't for them. But I see no problem with it, especially the exercise idea, I wonder how many 350 lbs truckers would only be 250 lb truckers if they had a dog in the truck with them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    exactly. off topic here but, i am constantly amazed when i watch a driver struggle to get that spot right next to the building. they'll spend 30 minutes getting into it instead of finding an easy spot half way across the parking lot. then i see them get out and the suspension on the truck goes up cause they are pushing 350 +. i mean i'm extremely lazy. but, give me an easy parking spot and i'll gladly walk that 100 yards across the parking lot to get inside.

Sharps5090 and Voyager1968 Thank this.
  4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Truckerdawg :grommit: told me just the other day, he much prefers the truck to being locked up in doggie jail! :biggrin_25525:

5. CDL1968

CDL1968 Medium Load Member

Sep 27, 2012
    USA
    I use to take my dog from time to time and it was great.

ironpony Thanks this.
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    so, what your saying is someone (or thing) was able to stand being alone in the truck with you? :biggrin_25522:

7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Have a 7 month old Mini Golden Doodle. She is always with me, and loves it. I left her home last week with the wife, she was off work, and all she did was stare out the window at the driveway! When I got home she came out to the truck and put her feet up on the first step and looked at me like "let's go".
    I'm 50 now and not getting enough exercise so she makes me stop every 4 hrs or so, and that's not a bad thing. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374636919.841574.jpg
    Here's a shot of her this spring in Cape Breton at the look off on Kelly's mountain.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374637088.771849.jpg
    "Road Dawg"
    One thing!!! Keep an extra key with you. Sucks at 1 am when you have to call a lock out service to let you back in at the pump island because she stepped on the power lock switch when she was chasing the squeegee around as you are cleaning the windows.... Lol. Don't ask!!!

8. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I park as far away as I can,except for when I'm creeping in in the wee hours...Neva know what lurks beyond...:biggrin_25523:

9. wstar2003

wstar2003 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2013
    I came by my dog in a different way than usual. In 2003 my dad died of pneumonia and at that time had a three year old Jack Russell mix. After dad died my mother had her hips replaced and couldn't take care of the Jack anymore, so he wound up with me. I had never had a dog in the truck before and didn't really know how it would work out.
    That was close to ten years ago now. This dog is none of the trouble I thought he would be. As a matter of fact he is one of the best things about going to work! Yeah you have to take him out every four or five hours and he sheds some hair in the floor but you clean it up and go on. He is special to me because he was my dad's dog. I still have a little bit of my dad here with me and I have left more than one shipper because of the "no pets" policy. I understand their position and why they do it but I won't negotiate on that. When it gets down to dog or freight dog will ride EVERY time.

10. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I have never run into a shipper or receiver with a no dogs policy? I don't take her out when Im at a shipper/receiver, and always try to take her out before I get there. Hopefully won't run into it. I can say, customs is a breeze now, most of the times when I pull up they want to pat the dog!! Ask about her blue eyes, stamp my paper work and off I go, no more questions about anything!

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  11. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    BMW in South Carolina.

Elroythekid and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.