Britton Transport Inc.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by MrEd, Oct 16, 2011.

1. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    What truck number are you? Where yang hanging out at today. I'm riding across U.S. 18 in northern Iowa right now. Watching my co-driver drive.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Are you driving a truck with a sleeper, and using it? If so, it would count as experience, I believe. If you went van/reefer division, you would not need to ride with a trainer. If you are wanting flatbed division, then you would likely have to ride with me for a couple weeks for flatbed training. I'm currently the only flatbed trainer. But I keep my truck and myself clean, and I wouldn't waste your time. You'd learn enough for it to be worth your time.

tscottme and Peelsession Thank this.
  4. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Do they do many runs to the southwest?

How many CPM does van start? Flatbed? Any other payments?

What happens if you break the contract?

Would they allow a one month break inbetween both years?

5. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Can you start out in one division and switch to a different division later?

And last question why did you choose to flatbed for a career as opposed to dry van?

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm driving a daycab. I'm likely interested in flatbed more than van or reefer. I'm terribly bored & looking for new challenges. Clean MVR, PSP, criminal, no smoking or drinking. I am not quite sure which direction to go.

Thanks for answering. I don't think I know it all, just don't look forward to being trained on stuff I've done since 1994 or sharing a truck more than I have to.

7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I'm not sure how many run go to the southwest in the van division. In flatbed it isn't very frequent. Flatbed starts at .40cpm. Van starts at .37. Of course, if a drIver is experienced, they start higher. Those are before any mileage bonuses or anything. We have mileage bonuses, safety bonuses, breakdown pay, 34 hr restart pay, border crossing pay (if you go to Canada), also extra .05 cpm for Canada miles. In addition, flatbeds get tarp pay, and can get .10 extra for oversized loads. My current trainee says he thinks that you only have to sign a contract if you are in the school tuition reimbursement program. If you break the contract you'd have to reimburse them for any tuition reimbursements they gave you. As for a one month break, they may work with you on that. I've never had trouble getting time I need off. If this is something planned already, just let them know. I'm sure they'll work with you on it. Yes, you can switch divisions. I know a couple guys who have changed divisions. As far as why I started in flatbed, I don't really remember. That was a long time ago. In the last 25 years I've had 5 jobs. 4 were trucking. 6 months flatbed at my first company. Then 10 months reefer/van with a company no longer in business. Then almost 17 years at a flatbed carrier. I tried to quit trucking for a factory job for 10 months in 2011. When I came back trucking, I didn't seriously consider anything but flatbed. That 10 month with the reefer company all them years ago was enough door banging for me. If I ever decide I want to try something other than flatbed, it'll be tanker or maybe car hauling.

8. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
  10. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Yes, Canada is optional. But it does pay more to go up there. I know, on the flatbed side, we could use a few more drivers who can and will go up there. If you look into a passport, and don't ever intend to fly anywhere, just get the passport card. It is cheaper to get than the regular little blue book. And it's a card, so it'll fit in your wallet too. The card is only good for land travel between hehe U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

11. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    I would be willing and do have a passport, but my passenger isn't a US citizen yet (just permanent resident) so I don't think it would be feasible to go into Canada.

I would like to do flatbed with you guys though. Just a little worried they'd pass my application if I told them I'm planning to visit family abroad after one year and am not willing to go into Canada for at least the first year.

Brit is my first choice though. I just bought some recommended cargo securement manuals off Amazon, so I can study first.

Do they provide good benefits?

I recall seeing you say that you had the only double bunk sleeper on the flatbed side. I also remember hearing that there is a rider program. Is it true you can take your passenger from day one as soon as training ends? If so, do they have other double bunk tractors available for flatbed?

I hope everything works out. I also like the fact that you drive autos... I didn't know that was feasible with flatbed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.