Broke down in San Antonio Texas. Need help and advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Coach Dee, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Here is what I had to do once.
    I had a driver with a load that was 400 miles to its delivery, it already made 400 miles when the truck crapped out on him.

I got involved with the problem because of the issues with the truck, so I was called by the broker to see if we can get it delivered but I could not repower the load, but I told the broker if they can arrange someone to repower the load and get anything to get the trailer back to me, I won't have a claim on what my driver already did.

It sort of worked out, the truck was too much trouble to deal with, it sat for a while at that dealer. I had to get another driver to pick up the trailer which was 400 miles out of the way for him.

Now if you can do this with the broker, I would call the company you rented the trailer from and see if it can be dropped off somewhere near the delivery, that way the broker can find someone to repower the load.

mhyn and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You need to.rent a truck and finish the load or ask your broker to get a power only truck.
    You can deal with the rest tomorrow

Coach Dee, Coffey, FlaSwampRat and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Coach Dee

Coach Dee Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2019
    just locked up

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    what engine? many miles?

6. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Besides the " blown " engine.. how is the condition of the rest of your truck?

If its a fairly new cab that has been taken care of and not driven behind a gravel truck for years.. you do have options.

Even though you have a few payments left, there is still value in a broken truck.

Like others have said. Call the dealership. See if they will take your current as a trade or can sell on consignment as part of a deal for a new truck.

If they won't take it, get a number needed for down payment. Find out what your current truck is worth in a quick cash sale, and then talk to your bank if there are additional funds you need. Include funds needed to release your trailer and possibly having trailer rental place recover their trailer.

Above all, don't ignore your broker. Do not give them a reason to make your life any harder.

FlaSwampRat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    In other post you stated spent money on pm & other stuff.
    How long ago was pm & who serviced it??

8. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Emergency fund is supposed to be used on emergency not normal cost

9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    So get himself into another truck with nothing left in the bank? Hmmmm

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    I have only one hope, and that is when I die I will be just half as smart as you think you are.

LumbraX Thanks this.
  11. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    I've been at this game quite a while. Never drove company, and have had my tail in a crack or two along the way. Not this bad but still a crack. I wish I could tell you what to do or offer some advice, but have none. What mhyn offered might be your best solution. In the meantime, ignore the bs. This site is full of know it alls that have no solution or answers to your problem so ignore them and stay positive. Weigh your options and go from there. I'm about 225 miles from you so I can't offer you a place to stay and don't know anybody in the San Antonio area. Not much help I know, but I detest bullies and their bs.

Oxbow, SoCalRed, dunchues and 10 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.