Broker $10,000 bond petition

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by MSTEECEE, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't see any reason not for a newbee broker to either use his own cash or take a loan to pay for a higher bond to start out. That's what a newbee truck owner has to do. And a truck owner has much higher operating costs than a broker and the truck owner has give his services on credit unless shipment is COD. Broker's cost of operation is bond, phone and internet service for a month. A paltry amount compared to the man doing the actual transporting of the product.

If brokering loads was easy, everyone would be doing it. Oh wait, they are!

aiwiron Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Brokers can have high overhead if they pay carriers before they are paid. Of course, they can always factor their receivables, just as carriers can factor their loads. Shippers often don't pay within 30 days. By the time a load is delivered, billed and money collected, the broker could be waiting for 45-60 days or perhaps longer to receive their money. Yet, most will pay the carrier within the agreed time period. Some may pay prior to receiving payment from the shipper. Good brokers will know how they are going to operate and pay carriers prior to giving out a load. Regardless, it is still up to the carrier to check out any broker or shipper before commiting to a load. The bond in not necessary to a fruitful relationship.

Ukumfe and BigBadBill Thank this.
  4. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    I think the best thing for brokers is they all become honest.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Not all brokers are dishonest. I have dealt with many over the years who are as honest as they come. Brokers also take a risk when they load a truck. I know brokers who have had loads picked up and held hostage until the truck receives part or all of their money before the load has been delivered. I also know of some who have had carriers pick up loads that were time critical and the driver or carrier decides to go by the house and take a few days off while still under the load. The broker can be held accountable by the shipper. Some brokers will commit to a certain number of loads and if they don't deliver the trucks then they pay a penalty to the shipper. They may even need to dig into their own pocket in order to get some loads covered. Things don't always go on the side of the broker.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  6. Ukumfe

Ukumfe Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2008

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Honest Brokers......Honest Truckers.......chicken....egg.......egg....chicken........

aiwiron Thanks this.
  7. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    To clear up any misunderstanding, I am not saying all brokers are liars or all truckers are honest. Just if brokers that are crooked could come clean it would make the world a nicer place for truckers that use them.

Also to add, if all that use brokers had any common sense and were honest the world would be a better place as well.

8. atrucker

atrucker Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Allen Lund has $10K bond by TIA and they owe us approx $3000. There is no difference if they have bond or not they still call the shots. The judge when sees a big party they even forget that the freight was hauled professionally and promptly it has to get paid. But it has been almost a year, I have not seen the money no fuel advance was given either. Increasing the bond as the broker gets bigger will make more sense. If a broker cheats you out of money (as Allen Lund) their brokerage should be revoked.

9. atrucker

Sep 21, 2012
    Like I said earlier even bond does not guarantee anything. We have been screwed for $3000 by Allen Lund and have not gotten paid for a load we did for them almost a year ago. They have Bond by TIA (which to me seems like a joke) we filed with the bond, the answer was like "saying get loss" and same thing when we filed in court the judge threw the case out on their lawyers request. We can't afford to go to CA where they have the base, to fight for the freight services we provided absolutely promptly and professionally. So we are screwed for $3000.This industry is absolutely a joke, how there are a million rules for the hardworking trucker but no rule for the broker or the Jones. The only way a carrier is protected if he is a part of big group, mafia or some kind of power or union. But then the brokers will act as truckers and join the union as well(Like OOIDA and others) then what? We have requested BBB and OOIDA but no results.

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't know why you were not paid as long as all your paperwork was in order. What was the reason they gave for non payment? Why was the bond not paid? If the judge threw out any lawsuit due to jurisdiction issues, then you could hire a lawyer in the right jurisdiction and have them deal with it. I would think that it would be worth paying a lawyer $500 to file suit if that is what it took to get my money. You would not even need to be present for a lawyer to deal with it. If your lawyer was successful then you might even be able to get your attorney's fees in the suit. There are also lawyers who specialize in collecting money from brokers and shippers. I have been receiving emails for some time from a lawyer in Florida, I believe. Apparently, that is all that they do. You could also contact the shipper to collect your money. One other thing you could do is sue the bonding company, broker and shipper. My guess is that it would produce results. Shippers don't like to get in the middle of a lawsuit when a brokeer doesn't pay, especially when they have already paid the broker.

11. atrucker

Sep 21, 2012
    We have clearly proven that Allen Lund is fully operative in NJ by all the postings of loads in/out and advertisements. Some how the judge still lets them get away with $3000 unethical, illegal and a lot more. Here is a note brought to me by a kid on our street says Allen Lund called them, and handed it to me.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.