Broker and trucking company playing games

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by m16ty, Nov 12, 2018.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I hope this isn't against the rules, but an acquaintance of mine is having some trouble with a shipment. It seems either the broker and/or the trucking company is trying to screw him.

I'm a moderator on this forum and here is the link to the guy's problem- Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

I don't deal with brokers much, so I was throwing it out there to see if anybody had some advise to offer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’m guessing not, unless they’re a member of that site.

Not putting my info out there just to look either.

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Link works but not directing to whatever you want us to look at.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Page asks to login first

6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Sorry guys, I didn't know that the link wouldn't work for non-members.

Here is the body of the post-

"I purchased a M1074 Oshkosh PLS in the state of Virginia from another member here on SS. I was planning on making a recovery road trip out of it(and still may) to California, but being self employed I'm really busy and getting the time off can be difficult so I arranged for it to be picked up through a broker called Spartan Carriers LLC out of Gilbert AZ. The broker quoted a me price and thought all was well when I gave the go ahead. What I didn't know is that they intentionally planned to defraud the transport company. They quoted a price to the transport company that was almost double what I agreed to. The transporters went and picked up my truck and took it back to their location while they waited for the broker to pay them. Of course the broker was thinking the transporter was going to be dumb enough to proceed with the move on a promise to pay at time of delivery. After not being able to contact the broker, the driver called to tell me the situation. I was shocked and started calling and emailing the broker, but of course they have fallen off the face of the Earth. Fortunately I was not going to pay them until my truck was delivered. However the trucking company who has my truck is now trying to basically ransom it back to me. They want me to pay them the rate they were promised by the broker. I'm in a corner here and although I don't want to give in to their demands I want my truck. I told them I would go out there from CA to pay them the $1200 in expenses they are charging for the 180 mile trip to their location. Now they are going back on that, saying they want the full amount or hold my truck as some sort of collateral for the broker to pay them $40k in wages owed for other work done. I have told the driver that holding my truck is not going to get them paid by the broker any faster because it has no ties to them. Doing this is only going to create more issues for them as I will have to take them to court(once I find out more info on them). I contacted the local police in Harrisonburg to see if they could help or file a stolen vehicle report, but was told this is a civil matter.
    I have very little information and am hoping you all out there if you're in the VA area maybe able to help locate my truck. From what the driver who has my truck told me, he is storing it at his residence in Harrisonburg VA and works for the trucking company AHISKA TRUCKING LLC. He may be the owner/operator based on some things he has said in text conversations.
    Here are a few pictures of the truck being picked by them."

7. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    Nothing here really makes sense. Loads virtually never pay before delivery or at the point of delivery. The standard operating procedure in this business is
    1. haul a load
    2. send in paperwork to broker
    3.wait 20-45 days to get paid

I usually have between 20 and 40 thousand dollars of outstanding receivables at any one time waiting to be paid.

I've never heard of a broker quoting the carrier to pay more than the customer has offered. Usually they try to offer half what the customer is paying to pocket the rest. Their's no incentive here for the broker to do this unless the carrier and broker are in on this scam together.

8. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    Looked them up on DAT. This brokerage firm is three months old and has six one star reviews for non payment,not picking up the phone and lying about load details. Your friend was very foolish to get involved with a fly by night outfit like this. I don't work with any brokerages less than 2 years old and they have to have perfect credit and very high reviews being that new. Most I work with are 10+ years old.

Old Man and 86scotty Thank this.
  9. Tryingtokeepup

Tryingtokeepup Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spartan Carriers is a scam operation. There has been a rash of so called brokers opening up shop for a few months, getting freight from unsuspecting customers that pay cheap and then offering it to the drivers for an way more money that what they got in it. The customer pays the broker the cheap rate, but the broker ups the price to the unsuspecting carrier. By the time the carrier is 90 days out on payment, they have already shut the doors. In turn the carrier goes after the customer for payment on the load and customer had already paid it to the broker for quite a bit less money. Spartan is the most recent one that I have heard about. Your friend may want to contact the FBI in Baltimore, MD since Ahiska is based out of there. These guys that do this type of thing need to be shut down.

m16ty Thanks this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    He has a contract from the brokers, yes?
    Has a hard copy of it, or at least can print it?

The dispute between the carriers and the brokers are not really of concern to your friend. That needs to be settled between them.

The carrier holding the freight for ransom is unlawful.

11. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Like you said it’s the carriers problem for contracting with the fly by night broker, not the shipper. They should have checked the broker out before taking the load. Sounds to me like the carrier is as shady as the broker. How do we know they aren’t one in the same trying to screw the OPs friend out of “ransom” money for his truck? Shouldn’t the carrier just file against the broker bond which I thought was for situations like this?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.