Broker punishing me for their mistake

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by sonnyca, Oct 30, 2023.

1. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    We booked a load from KY to CA and the broker messed up the temp confirmation. RC said to put the reefer at 34F and the BOL said 0F. I emailed him and told him shipper is saying 0F what temp you want. He emailed me back saying 34F.

Now the load is rejected in LA area because receiver said temp was supposed to be 0F. I emailed broker and he said bring the load back to KY for the same rate you hauled it originally.

I refused and demanded the market rate. He is bullying me and telling me he will file claim on me since it is FTL rejection and load is still open it I don’t agree.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I’d bring it back. It will get stupid from here and you will have to hire a lawyer. They generally take 40 %.

Stop hauling for below market rates. Shoot I refuse to haul for market rates. Too cheap. I figure if I perform better than the average I should price accordingly.

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The bills said 0° so there isn't a thing you can do. Sometimes you may get told a temp by the broker, and then go to a shipper and the shipper will tell you something else. You should have gone be what the shipper told you, because the customer probably advised the shipper of what temp they wanted the product during transit. I think you made a mistake. You gotta eat that cost.

JimmyTwoTimes, dunchues, PPNLE and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Tell Mr. Broker you will go to manager of shipper and receiver and show them emails of Mr. broker telling you to set WRONG temperature and then refusing to compensate you property.
    Then you'll not only go to Manager with this but every person you have to in order guarantee they will never do business with this broker ever again.

Ask broker if he will reconsider his actions or shall you go ahead with your plan to hurt his business if broker wants to continue to hurt yours.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    That’s a decent plan, as long as you have the money to pay for the load.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Always go with what the shipper tells you..always.
    You could have gotten clarification from the shipper in regards to what the rate con said. They’d have set you straight.

Sounds like a rookie mistake..

dunchues, Siinman, bryan21384 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Yeah if someone makes a mistake be better off it be a shipper than a broker.

It's the shippers product.

Siinman, 86scotty and Concorde Thank this.
  9. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Only time I don’t follow the bol temp is when the buyer of the product has a different requirement. Sometimes they like bananas a couple degrees cooler or warmer or a mixed load of produce and the buyer has me run the produce on a safe for all temp vs the individual temps given at each shed. I never have worries about doing this because it was for my customer. They’re the one buying the product, and they were the one paying me.

Siinman, Hammer166 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    The exact lines by the broker, “We checked with the customer and they want to run this product at 34F”

11. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    We never go by shipper temp but anyways I asked if he wants to get the blue book involved or what because I am not heading back to KY with this rate. He added couple of other people in the email and one of another sent us the RC for the rate we asked.

The reason we don’t go by the shipper’s temp is because a few years back shipper told us to put the lettuce on 45F and the rate con said something else. We emailed broker and the broker said go as the shipper say and when we reached TN, had to dump the whole load but we got paid. So if there is discrepancy in temp, we don’t make decisions and we throw the ball in their court.

Tb0n3 and Concorde Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.