Broker Requirement: LOSS PAYEE: On Motor Truck Cargo Insurance Policy

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Atlanticus trucking, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    A broker im trying to haul for is required I add them as a loss payee. Its the only broker that has this as a requirement. Does anyone know what this means and if its a bad idea to do it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Bad idea dont do it. If something happens the loss payee gets paid not you. (Kinda like a lien holder)
    Someone will be along to explain better than I can. But in the mean time Google "loss payee"

4. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Let me guess... is it Supreme Auto Transport?

5. Bold Group

Bold Group Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2019
    One of our broker's requirement was also asking to be listed as a loss payee for cargo insurance policy. Our insurance agent said that "they can't and will not add a broker as a loss payee since the broker has no interest in the cargo". Submitted the insurance papers to the broker without adding them everything was fine.

6. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Crazy that a broker would ask that.

Yep!!

Ill try the same. Let’s see if it goes through. Thanks!

7. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Thats pretty common for large broker/carrier sub hauls. I probably have 6 or 8 and i think we pay like $50 ea. annually for them to send them a document with them listed. If the broker is the contract hauler they are responsible for the cargo, if you total a GM car your insurance deals with the contract carrier not GM Directly

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.