Broker schools

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by acehigh62, Aug 18, 2012.

1. acehigh62

acehigh62 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2010
    alabama
    Hey guys and gals, Should I spent my time and money taking broker course at my local college to help me out when or if I want to go out on my own ? Or take it and start my own business !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FourCircles

FourCircles Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2012
    You would gain the most knowledge (paid or offer intern) at a trucking company than any book or school could teach you. I would suggest anyone that is new to the industry to work at a trucking company to see how they operate and their needs, before jumping into brokerage. You might even get paid! Rather than pay.

acehigh62 Thanks this.
  4. kimbush

kimbush Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Bullhead City AZ
    Check into the larger houses hiring to get you started. I went to an actual broker school and got my certificate- but the after support was just not there (even though we paid additional for it) So I am trying to do things alone. Just make sure you get with a house that lets you keep your shippers and carriers when you leave

5. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Don't waste your time with a "broker school." Go look for a job as a dispatcher with an established broker and get OJT.

6. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    Alot of folks try these"broker schools"; too only find out that there completely a joke.. I believe there's one in AZ called Loadtraining.com; not sure how they are in training you, but I do know that they are the oldest "school" for brokers...So; they say! It's on the internet so it must be true, right?

Some of these ol' boys have never booked a load; but they will teach you how to do it! I spent most of my years driving, and collecting data on customers. Then I got off the road and starting making sales calls. Approx 50-60 calls a day; until I landed my first customer. It's tougher than you think, I know that. Somedays; being behind that windshield is better! Somedays..

***DISCLAIMER*** I have not been too Loadtraining.com or have first hand knowledge on their training material!

7. kimbush

kimbush Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Bullhead City AZ
    I have been there and for the price they charge we discovered it was not worth it. I can hardly reach anyone there when i needed help, and the information in the training manual is alot of case studies and put together poorly. The only good thing about attending is they give you masterbroker certificate for the new laws coming out for brokering.

8. Cobra67y20

Cobra67y20 Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Oviedo, Fl
    I'm thinking rather than drive again as I did in the late 90's I wouldn't mind being a dispatcher or working for a broker. i have no experience in either positions, but have experience in business development so I don't mind contacting companies for their business. I'm not sure living here in Orlando Florida if I can find a OJT position. Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh, I am methodical, task oriented and good at multitasking.

9. grumpyoldlady

grumpyoldlady Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Henderson, Tennessee
    Know someone currently attending broker training. Brutal. They are being treated very rudely when they ask questions. And now they are trying to get the students to fork over big bucks to buy their package that gives them access to load boards and a bunch more stuff that supposedly will make their job easier. I don't know what all is in it. They've got their money and too bad if they don't understand. Be careful. They rake in mega bucks doing this training, throwing more and more people into the brokering field, telling them they can make $30,000 a week and more. Only so much freight out there and as the number of brokers goes up by the thousands each year. Common sense should prevail.

10. samsamson

samsamson Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2010
    chicago,il
    Did anyone tried to register as an agent for truckalocity.com ? What are your experiences?

11. kimbush

kimbush Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Bullhead City AZ
    Yes and no help what so ever. They promise to help you with your sales and cold calls but never happend, I would call and ask for assistance and never get it, either they were to busy or never responded to me. My company spent about $4000 to send me there. Lets just say after almost a year my owners closed the brokerage side of the business because we couldnt get the shippers or carriers to sign on with us. Most of the carriers I spoke with are not willing to change brokers unless they have been open a year ( drivers correct me if I am wrong). Being owned by active truck drivers we thought we would have a chance. Do your research first. There are other schools out there that offer same training for a fraction of the cost and will place you with a large house for training

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.