Broker/Shipper left me stranded for over 24hrs on busy highway.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by M915MOVER, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Quit posting on social media and talk to a lawyer!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    WOW! If that is not a coincidence then the last thing I'd want to do would be to post here.
    On the other hand, this is what this World came to, everybody wants to blame someone else for their screw-ups.

As far as the liability for the very accident - the garbage truck slamming into his rig, I would not jump too fast to conclusions. After all, he should have removed the rig much sooner, without waiting on the dispatch or ... a broker(!?!) - that is undeniably true but why did the garbage truck hit his rig on a shoulder? The liability seems to be on both sides...

Vampire, JoeyJunk, Beaver9 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You can sue all of them, including the State Police for not giving you a ticket. Probably Lose and be liable for their Court Costs. Hopefully Insurance covers things. Should of /could of/ would of, doesn’t matter. It’s done. I would at least read your Contract, and have a Lawyer read it. Find out what you’re liable for. $1000 deductible? Might need to do something specific within a certain time. No telling. With a little luck, the Garbage Company won’t pursue you. Others can sue you. A lot will probably depend on whether you had triangles properly set out. As far as being there for 24 hrs. I wouldn’t volunteer that information, if possible. Best answer any inquiries from anyone, after speaking to a Lawyer.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah the company may not pursue the op, but can guarantee that their insurance company will.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Maybe not, might depend on who was ticketed. The injured are probably the ones that will come after his insurance, with an injury Lawyer. His exposure will depend on his assets. No assets, they won’t Probably won’t bother. Although a judgement garnishing future wages is possible. Never know. I sure don’t know. Only things I’ve heard. I can’t even spell Lawyure. He definately needs one. Hopefully through his insurance Company. He may never have to do anything. It’s not always worst case. Sometimes it’s equal negligence, an accident. Seems to be plenty of blame to go around.

7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Since that link posted is your screw-up, the best advice I can give you is dont say another word on this thread. Your only going to further incriminate yourself.

8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    He was pulling a stack of chassis and "developed a problem"? Depends on the problem....still non excuse for sitting that long.

If it was a tire on a chassis..... they can tell if it been "run flat" and will charge it back to the driver if that has occurred. If its "blown" then take it to the next exit or something. If the problem is the stack moved or something(and I can almost guarantee that what the "problem" was).

He doesn't have trailer interchange......do you mean, trailer interchange insurance or trailer interchange for the ports?

Im asking these questions hypothetically, cause the OP most likely wont come back.

9. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    @fishonron this is a pretty much case in point to our earlier conversation.

As to the op.....look im going to TRY to be nice here....but well.... your an idiot. You did EVERYTHING wrong in this situation. Even if the shipper and broker had a clause in the paperwork that any breakdown was on them you should have just paid to get it fixed and submitted the bill with the paperwork. And unless the trailer was literally about to explode, you should have limped it to an exit at a minimum.

The fact you stayed on the shoulder for HOURS regardless if you had triangles out or not is entirely irrelivent. Any court that looks at the HoS and sees you sat for 10 hours is going to throw not just the book but the entire podium at you. You failed at every single step and put not just yourself but the general public at risk.

If the trailer was entirely disabled and you had called a wrecker or tow truck and got hit waiting for them this would be a very diffrent story and tune. But sitting there that long!?!?! Aorry but youe screwed blued amd tattoed here and are going to be lucky to walk away with just a couple pounds of flesh missing. Moreso if anyone was hurt or killed.

Hammer166, Siinman, Vampire and 3 others Thank this.
  10. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Its easy to beat the dude up and much of it is deserved. I'm not sure what his financial situation is or care really. Moral to the story, for me anyway, is when broken down on the shoulder have your triangles out and a plan in place. If you can't get a plan together call the cops and ask for highway assistance. They will tow you before this catastrophe happens. This is a classic example of what can go wrong. Honestly in this day in time I'm not so sure I wouldn't call the cops anyway to let them know what's up. People nowadays have more fascination with their phone than what's on the side of the road that could kill them.
    Fd up situation for sure.

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    It’s a chassis, you either cage the brakes or give the bearings an hour to cool down before limping it to the next ramp, short of a wheel falling off, which you could of pushed back up with a log/stick to chain up enough so it’s off the road, no reason to stay there for hours

Vampire, AModelCat, 59EX and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.