Brokers 101

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by help123, May 20, 2007.

1. Daycabber

Daycabber Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    China Grove, NC
    After dealing with many brokers in 2007 I have finally narrowed down to about 3 I try to stick with. I actually have more than 25 contracts in place from 2007. I was using multiple load boards but have cut that expense down to only one I pay for now. One broker I talk with almost daily takes good care of me lately, even in the freight slump I have been able to keep moving due to a strong account they have. When they don't have some of my regular preferred runs they help find loads posted using their resources and forward the info on to me.

A strong trusting business relationship with the right type of broker can really make a difference in your life and how much you enjoy what you do for a living. In the beginning I dealt with a couple of the ugly described above. Found myself on the phone as much as I drove asking for my pay! I am much more careful these days and I do check out any new brokers I may haul for.

Due to their good style of doing things and their trust in me I am able to be home like never in the past as a trucker and actually make money doing some shorter runs for one of their big customers. I am able to be with my wife and kids now!

When I soon renew my insurance policy I will be able to save money by reducing my auto liability amount back to $750,000 but still maintaining $100,000 cargo. Some brokers require a minimum of 1,000,000 auto liability but once I had it in place I haven't actually needed it since. Also will convert my unlimited miles to regional miles. Some underwriters have discounted premiums for O/Ops who stay within 400 miles of their domicile.

Just sharing my style and how I am cutting some expenses. Burning less fuel by running shorter and an L-10 Cummins getting 9.5 mpg has been good to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
  4. harbin

harbin Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2008
    bear, de
    ive just started and i cant seem to get any loads over 1.30 off these #### loadbords, i guess i gotta start somewhere

5. gradydortch

gradydortch Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2008
    mobile,al.
    HOW DO I FIND DUMPTRUCK BROKERS IN THE ALABAMA REGION ?:yes2557:

6. FunnyFarm04

FunnyFarm04 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Oak Hills, California
    You may want to see if your state has a dump truck assiciation. Many state's have them. We have one in california, I hear its a good place to find anything to do with dump trucks.

Also check out asphalt plants and rock plants. That is what we were doing until we found someone to pull for here in California.

Good luck

7. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    As a broker, I can say that I honestly don't try to cut anyone off. I don't make a lot, and it is just an overflow for the asset-based side of our trucking business. Many times, I don't want to deal with the hassle of covering the load and making another $25 for looking at trucks all day. If we have a load posted for $1,000 we are most likely billing our customer $1,100 - $1,150- but mostly we are making between 7-12%. It isn't outrageous, since we most likely have to carry that invoice for 45-90 days to get paid, but pay the truck in 30 days.

More and more, customers are finding guys that haul for nothing, or we are going by old quotes that we are being held to. Thankfully, some of our customers allow us to adjust for fuel, and yes- I actually pass that on. I try not to broker for less than $2.00 a mile, because everyone should make a living- it isn't "UNICEF Trucking" we've had enough practice, now it's time to make money. Sometimes I must dip below, but it all balances out, I have some that I broker out for $3.00/plus. The guys that stay with me know that once in a while they have to swallow a tough one and I'll take care of them on the next one. And obviously, rates are dependant on the region- I can't charge $3.00/mile out of Wisconsin, becasue I wouldn't get the load then... But a lot of cheap freight I won't even mess with. I've seen some one way stuff $1.12 and less out of Michigan- I don't want to bother with it.

Fees like truck ordered not used and detention are obviously do-able, but one thing I don't like are drivers that are late for pickups with no calls, then ask for detention when the appointment time mattered, or drivers that don't check call with us. It's not that we don't trust the drivers, we just want to know where you are if our customer calls, so we don't sound like idiots. If we have 1 out of 10 drivers make check calls when loaded and empty, I'd be very surprised.

I have trucks calling me to get loads when they are stuck becasue I have customers all over the eastern half of the US aside from the NE areas, and I actually feel bad if I can't help them since most of my contracted haulers are great guys.

JMF2479 Thanks this.
  8. twinturbotrans

twinturbotrans Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    well said Joe i totally agree i usually have couple trucks in MI area looking to come home to oregon/washington area if you run that lane and need help get in touch with me....

I was wondering if we could start a bad brokers/shippers thread going for any O/O or small fleet companies out there that have done business with a broker or shipper that hasn't paid them or paid them but like 6months or later...i run a small fleet of 8 units and i have 1 credit check company but still manage to do business with some bad brokers out there...actually i've been through a lot of bad brokers in this one year especially new MC # brokers..i've heard of brokers that would broker 150k worth of freight in one month and then disappear and leave carriers with 10k bond:biggrin_2551:

9. CHRW

CHRW Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2008
    USA
    95% of these points, although good information, do not apply when using CH Robinson. I’m not trying to plug the company really, just seem compared to most “brokers”, you have less to worry about when using us.

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    ya the only thing you have to worry about hauling for chr is going broke.

we don't call you cheap and heavy robinson for nothing.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Herbin you need to learn to negotiate and that dispatcher you are paying isn't going to go out of his way to negotiate higher rates for you. You can't run for that price. Sit and wait for a good paying load.
    And for gods sake stay off the u-ship and get loaded sites.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.