Brokers need to be taught a lesson

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by robbiehorn, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrivingForceBehindYou

DrivingForceBehindYou Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    ChicagolandOfOpportunity
    18 hours of brick counting with no detention?!
    Did they make you watch the brick layers while they built the first floor?
    You make it sound like things go wrong when you get that cheap load but when you get that profitable one or deadhead you just turn the key and the truck just drives, you just watch from the sleeper that it does not get In trouble and drink coffee.
    I was in this predicament only once. I got 3 $ per mile from Chi to Michigan. And from there only freight was available for 1.3$ per mile. You could wait there for days only losing time. Yes I grabbed cheap and heavy and averaged over 2$ per mile , netting about 65 cpm after costs and company cut.
    Nobody put me in the black book where brokers look for suckers and no one printed on my sleeper Cheap Hauler.
    If I had 5 truck fleet and got direct freight to Florida for 3 per mile and coming back for 1.3 right away I'd do that all year around with drivers making 45cpm and me about the same. That's what mega carriers do anyways. Cheap is cheap when it's below market average. 2,5 out of Chicago is cheap for example.
    I am only happy I don't turn and burn anymore but I don't deny this business model where they cover 3000+ miles a week for 2.10$ a mile works quite well for more than a few. An updated equipment with superior fuel economy plays big part of this. It's pointless to compare 2.4 gross per mile to 2.1 per mile when all that difference is lost at the pump

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    bill, when you figure out why this happens let me know. sounds like with stuff like I that I would fit real well at f2f. I would buy and pave my own parking space somewhere to sit for money like that, and install a power pole to run my apu on shorepower and put up a mailbox if necessary.

Foxcover and 281ric Thank this.
  4. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX

i cant recall when I hauled last for these people, but I also dont drive a ton of miles

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Are you not listening? Why book with them at all? Besides, it's not up to you who I book with. What if they offer me a load with zero DH miles? Can I not do that load for less than if I DH 500 miles? Good grief man look in the mirror. If you cannot command a good enough rate then you are doing something wrong. Focus on things you can change.

trees Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Use your head for something besides a hat rack. The reason fleets operate like this is because it's much simpler and easier to operate that way, it's no brainer operations. Also, I'm talking about the load being on the truck for 18 hrs plus that's including transit time. You know I go to Michigan once in a while and have found a couple of things that work out better or equal to your lazy method of grabbing cheap, close by. I either grab a partial and try to build on that or go back with just the one partial. Or I deadhead about 300 miles give or take to where I know i can get a better loaded rate. Either way I can average the same money as you or better in probably a similar time frame. You have no idea what sort of fuel mileage I get nor my equipment upgrade plans either.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Brokers are smart, once they figure you out, it's all over.....

Best advice I could give someone just starting out.....

Quote high rates and act like you get that rate all day long, no problem.

Be financially able to sit and wait.

Once you get pigeonholed you'll never get away from it....

281ric Thanks this.
  8. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    It's a lot like playing cards.

Never be in a hurry.....

Learn your opponent.

Make it count when you know you're holding the winning hand.

caftransport, 281ric and rockyroad74 Thank this.
  9. robbiehorn

robbiehorn Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Axtell,Texas
    Did you not read the first sentence of this thread? Where did I say that I haul for them? I would if they paid fair rates. I started this thread to try to get more $$ for us from the brokers since they are the ones negotiating the rates for us. You book with who you want to & haul for whoever you want. If you are satisfied on the current broker rates then move along. I was just in Clovis NM yesterday and there were several loads of crushed cars going to Midlothian Tx and the rates were so low that it wouldn't even cover the fuel. I talked with TQL & UTI and told them what it would take for me to haul a load for them, a measly $2 a mile which is cheap to me and they both said no way. I politely said thank you for you for your time and moved on. Found me a 12,000 lb load of pipe that paid $2 a mile. Got nearly 8 miles to the gallon with it. Did see a lot of guys hauling cars and asked some of them what the were hauling them for and all of them were around a $1 a mile but it was better than deadheading for them. This is BS, why do the brokers want crushed cars hauled so cheap? Scrap metal is at a all time high right now and I talked to one crusher that I know personally in the area and he said that he was paying the brokers $35 a ton and the brokers were offering the loads for $21 a ton. He was upset that he wasn't getting the cars hauled off quick enough. The brokers need to be taught a lesson here, are YOU listening?

10. caftransport

caftransport Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    You sound like your talking about double (and up) brokered loads. I always tell a broker I don't accept double brokered loads.

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Yes I am listening and I am about to stop because I am breaking a very important rule: Don't waste time.

I don't give a rat's esophagus what UTI and TQL or anyone else pays. I don't compete in that market.

281ric and Foxcover Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.