Brokers, Please explain the plummeting rates these days.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BigMoose, Jun 8, 2022.

1. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    And on top of that it was the persons choice to pay $78,000 for a dry van, thinking that high rates were going to last in the spot market. 9 years I been at it (16 years total driving) and at no point did I grow my business because the spot market was booming. Nor did I jump into trucking to get rich quick like most of the new authority’s in the last 3 years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Who is buying a dryvan for 78? I feel for them!! I bought a 22 Great Danereefer trailer with biggest carrier for 76.

4. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    If you hate brokers so much, just never run another brokered load again. Get all your freight direct from the shipper, and run empty on the days you can't find a direct shipper load to get you to the head haul. It would be better than passive aggressively griping about brokers on the internet while running shipments for them.

Or even better, if it's so easy just join the club. I'm sure a bright guy like you will be sleeping in a big bed, showering like crazy, brushing your teeth in the nicest of sinks, and making big bucks in no time.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If $6 fuel means $6 a mile then why weren’t these guys moving loads for $2 when fuel was $2 during Covid? Fair is fair, right?

6. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    The problem is that too many people are worried about what the other guy is getting, and not why or how he is getting it. They spend all their time crying about someone "stealing" from them while neglecting their own business. Then they blame their failure on someone else. As far as fuel being $1/mile...thats not exactly how that works out. My current fuel cost (not including discounts) is close to .48 per mile. That is my 90 day average right now. That is from the gallons/miles/average price of all fueling this quarter.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    JimmyTwoTimes Thanks this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    :headbang: Amen my brotha from anotha mutha!! :hello2:

8. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    There was plenty of $2 a mile freight moving during COVID. Let’s not kid ourselves.

9. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    First half I agree completely. Second half I’m not convinced. Either your discounts are halving your cost on pump price, or you’re in 10+ mpg territory.

CAXPT and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Or both. I haul light in an Aero truck and my costs with one of the best fuel discounts I know of (TCS) is right around .70cpm It has dipped to .68 in the last week or so but still.

@zodiacflyer, tell us about your setup.

11. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    I am in a 2020 KW T680 with an MX13 and 3.08 rears. A lot of my loads are in the 8-10k range with the occasional run in the 30k range. I do most of my fueling in OK/TX/NE and lower midwest, so that helps a lot. I keep my speed down, so that helps a lot more. I don't try to race anyone to the top of every hill, because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter at all. My mpg varies from 8.2 to about 9.4 depending on if I actually run the speed limit or not. The discount is OK, kind of varies day to day and location to location. But if I am out West, try to only buy enough fuel to get me back to the land of cheap(er) diesel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.