Brokers, Please explain the plummeting rates these days.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BigMoose, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Schlumberger had the isx12 but they spec'd em right for the job. 425/1650 65mph was 1900 rpms. Fleet wide was an impressive 4.0 but you'd hardly ever have to move the stick even at a 100k in WV

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigMoose

BigMoose Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2022
    Honestly nothing makes sense. You say supply on demand and I'd believe that until I've noticed the past couple weeks that even in areas where there are more loads than trucks, the brokers aren't budging from the low rates. Unless of course DAT is providing us with misinformation.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  4. Tekna

Tekna Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Texas
    Some brokers still post at decent rates but they're scooped up as soon as they're posted if you're not the first to call quick you just missed out. I also be seeing a lot of loads posted for crappy rates keep going higher and higher but by time they get to a decent rate it would be impossible to make the appointment without violating or cheating HOS unless you're running teams. Past 2 weeks been the worse I've seen truck to load ratio in Texas for flatbed in past 6 months or so.

Nostalgic Thanks this.
  5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    DAT and ITS both are very flawed and not as accurate as we'd like them to be. The load/truck ratio is the only information I use from either of them and even that's really just a guess.

In many areas you'll have a single load that's being posted by 50 different brokers. Then, those brokers will post and repost it over and over and over again AND they'll post it from various nearby cities giving the impression it's more loads when it's just the same load.

The information given by DAT and ITS should only be used as a guide. I would never bank on any of it. Same goes for their ridiculously lanes rates and CPM for geographical areas. Never trust them.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    How do u go about finding out if a broker is any good or not ? And if they pay on time? I have had problems with a couple brokers that had "a" credit rating on ITS and 20 days to pay. Yet they were way later then that in paying me. is there a better way to source this info?

7. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Same here. That's why I stopped using loadboard "data" for business decisions. I actually use information provided directly from a very large factoring company. Sunbelt Finance gives the information out for free at Broker Credit Checks dot com.

I've found it to be really accurate. I used to compare it to the trash DAT/ITS puts out and it's almost always off by at least 7-10 days. Net 30 is thirty days, not 40+. They're already getting a free 30 day interest free loan. I'm not giving them anymore unless they guarantee volume of work.

Reo told me I wasn't allowed to post links so if you can't find the link feel free to PM me and I'll share it.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Found it !! Thanks for the info man... Where do u think ITS get there days to pay info from? you are right. ive put in a couple brokers ive worked with and the days to pay is off by about 7-10 days for each one.. Im thinking ITS just makes this stuff up or maybe the broker can put in whatever number they want. Who knows

9. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Wait until you start seeing they have a good rating on DAT/ITS then you'll check with Sunbelt and see they really don't pay until 40 or even more days late! It's incredible.

They get their information from data mined from their very own services as well as all the other businesses they've been slowly acquiring over the last several years.

The loadboards benefit from having as many loads and brokers as they can get. It helps more carriers pay for their crappy service. There are way more carriers than brokers so they do their best to keep as many loads and brokers as possible to entice more carriers.

God prefers Diesels and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. FormerDrivingInstructor

FormerDrivingInstructor Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2022
    The DAT average load rates in CA seem to be accurate. I see loads posted with rates increased until they disappear usually within a couple hundred bucks of the average rate. Any load originating in SoCal seems to be around $3 or more per mile but anywhere else in the west the brokers post at $1 per mile. DAT average load rates elsewhere are around $2 per mile or less to get back to CA. Do some people take $1 per mile??

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.