Brokers to big to be personal

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Lite bug, May 19, 2018.

1. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Back in March I received a call from Echo Global. Guy wanted to know if I was going to be on time for 10:00 am pickup in Denver. I told him I am in Columbus Oh. He ask me again “ are you going to pickup in Denver by 10 “ I told him I was a one man band and was on a load now outside Columbus. I ask him what my MC number was? He said “ you want me to tell you what your MC is “ He seemed really upset about me asking that. I figured he was going to give me some number and I could tell him my number. Well he reads off my MC number. Then he says “ sooooo” I tell him that’s my number but again I am a one truck operation, I am in Columbus Oh. and no I am not able to make Denver in 15 minutes. You must have me mixed up with someone else, I will call you in a couple of hours, as I am sure you will have settled the situation.

I read out his number after I got back to the house, and as you know, when you called his big brokers you get TelePrompTer, so I push the option for dispatch and of course The college-educated agents that they have their proceeded to ask the normal questions, what load are you calling about? I told him I was not calling about any particular load, and did not want to be dispatched, just following up on a previous conversation, telling him a little bit about the previous conversation. He tells me there is no way he can find the other agent, as there are over 2500 there. Geewhiz, thank you for your time!

About a month later I get a 900$ check from them. The attached summary had invoice numbers completely unfamiliar, so we know it was intended for someone else, Plus the fact that we had not carried a load for them. So I asked the wife, who do I call on this, as she has spoken to them previously regarding other loads. She always knows who to call, so she provided me a name and number. This is completely different from the number I had called previously this is completely different from the number I had called. Different area code, everything was different.

And, of course, when you call this number, you start with the Teleprompter again. Is it accounts receivable, no, it’s accounts payable, since I’m paying them. It took a while to get to the right person, as it is unusual to be sending money back to them. She asked when I was going to send it back? Well, that’s out runs through my head, Do I ask if they want to discount, or quick pay on this, or should I just wait and pay them in 30 days? I told him it would be in the mail the next day, throwing in a quick plug for my company. I tell them I have been trying to get one of these loads out of my area, every since they took over for Blue Grace Logistics. Yes, I was kind of partial to Blue Grace, as they would always call me, but with Echo global it’s not even easy to give money back to them.

I guess, I did not even deserve a thank you from them!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Jesus. Gotta love it. That's why I'm partial to my office. There's only ten of us. If something goes squirelly on someone else's load, I get up from my desk and walk the ten to forty feet to another guy's desk and tell him what's up.

Paddlewagon, Freddy57 and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Crazy! Illogistics.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    With all that nonsense. I'd just deposit it and see what happens over the next month or 2.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Sounds like a boiler room broker. If you listened carefully you could have probably heard people in the same room doing tech support for Microsoft while others telling callers that they just won a cruise to the Bahamas.

nax Thanks this.
  8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I think my big issue with the large logistics firms (asset and non-asset, at size it really stops mattering all that much) is that there's no consistency in the product they sell. When you have 2000 people on the phone (not an exaggeration in some three letter cases) the quality of people is going to vary wildly.

I can't use Landstar because the agents who book loads with other brokerages are hot garbage. Landstar has consistently been one of my biggest competitors on multiple accounts. These are very contradictory statements because competing with me is hard, and generally hot garbage won't cut it. Some Landstar agents are as good at what they do as I am, and some aren't worth the gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

It's kind of like Denny's. I won't eat there anymore because of the worse ones, but I used to really like the place back in the day (like 15 years ago lol) because my local one was awesome and I was poor. It's not that a Denny's can't be good, it's that some of them aren't, and when you've got #### to do you can't take that kind of risk.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I like Denny's ok for a decent meal. My own observation Denny's in a Flying J - nonexistent service, no refills, long wait for food, rude servers. Denny's not affiliated with a truck stop are much, much better. ....now back to your regularly scheduled mega broker bashing....

Opendeckin, Lite bug and PPDCT Thank this.
  10. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    LOL... you love the fact that megas have variable quality. One of your biggest advantages in the trucking market is being sensitive to their relative competence. I'm not just arbitrarily saying this either, I'm getting it from your posts.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I was off on a useless tangent about Denny's. One of their omelets is good enough to get get me through a whole entire day. But now with ELD's I seriously have to consider do I want to waste an hour waiting for an omelet at the J's Denny's or do I just eat another cold cut sandwich and go? Now if it's a Denny's that is in no way affiliated with a truck stop and I can park my truck nearby.. I know the food will be hot, the service decent and it'll only take a half hour or so.

I guess you could compare that to different people at mega brokers. In several years time I have never made a contact worthwhile at Echo Global Logistics. I find them to be the same bloated beauracratic organization as OP. They're impersonal and mostly a waste of time. Large organizations do have deep pockets though. Heck they're even giving money away to OP they've got so much of it.

Lite bug and PPDCT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.