Brokers want to track me....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 1, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Your employer should assign you a business phone. Your personal cell is your personal business.

Lepton1, Paddlewagon, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't think so.
    Macro point charges him $4 per load. It *claims* it starts the tracking when you accept the text, then turns off when it sees you have reached the destination point.
    Either way, I don't really care. I am not so paranoid he is watching my every move. I don't haul much for him anymore, he was one of the California guys, and I pretty well gave up running there.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    And you should change your number on your personal phone after starting work for them so they can't call you on it when you're on vacation.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    When you download the app, whichever one they’re asking you for, the app may have access to your personal stuff but the broker does not. Many apps request access to stuff on your phone, most of which can be turned off in the security settings. Four Kites and MacroPoint are the most popular. Once you click the link to begin tracking the tracking ends once you complete the load and it shows delivered in whatever dispatch software they’re using.
    I’m considering getting the service for myself so that all the broker has to do is click the link and it shows them my location and by using geofencing, shows my arrive and depart times at the customer. They have no way of accessing your personal info. Only the app and the makers of the app do, again, that can be configured in the security settings.

ReeferRick Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    For a company driver, no way. That's the company/dispatch responsibilities to handle. Track the truck and/or trailer is fine. Tracking my personal device is a no-go.

For an O/O, just run down to Walmart and get a $30 pre paid phone. Set it somewhere in the truck plugged in and on while on the load. Turn it off after the load is done.
    That way next time it's needed all that needs to be done is turn the phone on and take the load.

driverdriver and tlalokay Thank this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Shouldn't have to though. Sounds to me like his employer is a cheap POS who expects his employees to help pay for business expenses.

ZVar Thanks this.
  8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I have not found a broker yet that cancelled a load because I refused to have a tracking app follow me.

Brokers get a lot of push back from this so don't think its just you

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I doubt if anybody is worried about the broker accessing their personal data. Free apps aren't free, they sell your information to make money. Once your data is out there all Hell breaks loose. It's not worth it.

RedBeardedT and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I tell them I have a flip phone game over...

11. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    It only takes 1 load to prove you do exactly what you say you are going to do....they have to take a leap of faith the same as I do!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.