Brokers want to track me....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The broker will not call, but the dispatcher more than likely will. I have been doing expedite for many years, let them track you and be done with it. Myself, I go, door stays shut, no trashing around. Normally these loads pay very good, $4 to $10 a mile, even more if short haul, the reason they want to track you. Maybe you should find out what your company is making if you are paid percentage. ;-)

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I just don't like the idea of being tracked like I was given an ankle monitor by the court. They want to know where I am, call me or my office. They will know. I will tell you and give a pretty accurate ETA (I am running 95% accurate when I give a time, based on being able to maintain my current pace and nothing catastrophic happens before I arrive)...

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  4. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014

You have a cell phone (smartphone or not) the cellular carrier, Google, apple, the government are all already tracking you. Who cares about another app? If you're really concerned get a burner.

5. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I don't want questionable tracking software installed on my phone. Now with Elogs your company knows exactly where you are every second of the day. The broker can call them to get your location. There was a time when drivers didn't have mobile phones period. They made a check-in call from a public phone once a day at most and freight still got moved.

That's the problem, so many drivers just go with the Big Brother flow and that's why we're so overburdened with oppressive technology. The driver facing cameras are a great example.

I made/make CPM.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    RedBeardedT, DSK333 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You just mail your phone ahead.

Trucker Paul and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Ya know.

Phones come with the ability to reset software. That means resetting the operating system.

Worst case scenario. Download the software to a computer and do a full wipe and restore. That's also possible.

There's absolutely no reason one needs to go out and buy a replacement phone.

I never download macropoint. It's the office job to let the broker know where I'm at. Not mine. My job is to haul the load. I'm also not answering the phone. Specially when the cell phone fine kicked in. Call me once. You go on block. End of discussion.

ReeferRick, Tb0n3 and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The load I'm doing right now is using tracking app on my phone.
    Pays $4 mile.
    I suppose you never have any aspirations of doing D.O.D. loads or anything like that, that pay well???

Some of the freight I carry has MULTIPLE sensors on each item that tell different stories.

Want the money? Accept the conditions that go along with it, or move to the next load.

9. hagarcobra

hagarcobra Medium Load Member

May 24, 2013
    There is a company we Haul brokered loads through. When I first started hauling them they sent me text messages telling me I had to download a certain app onto my phone. Every time they did I blocked their phone number. Eventually they ran out of numbers. if they want to know where I am they can contact the company. It's my phone, I pay all the bills, I decide what apps go on it. If they want me to have a phone that they can track me with they can hand me a phone with the bill of lading and I'll throw it away when I'm done with the load.

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  10. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I haul DOD and no apps allowed!

The reason is basic for me.....zero apps on my PHONE. It is a phone. My battery lasts 3 days while my wife lasts a half a day.

Now getting in to a DOD contractor is interesting.....wow! Full truck scan/sniff.....take my laptop.....and watch my every move!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Dave_in_AZ and ReeferRick Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I would tell them that I don't have a smart phone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.