Brokers want to track me....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Same as on base.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Not reasonable.

Our phones are now locked, the driver can not install apps on them, and there has to be a contract specific with my company and the party that wants to install the app which includes malware damage repairs at a fixed rate of $5000 per phone.

We are thinking of suing a broker who sent a confirmation to a driver, established a contract and pulled the load because the driver refused to install an app on a company phone after he arrived at the shipper, he was asked to do a arrival call and a departure call. When the driver did the arrival call, the broker told him he has to install the app and the driver refused so the broker pulled the load from the driver and refused to compensate us for the losses on the move. Won't ding his bond don't want anything but a judgement in court but I am going to go after him for breech of contract based on the fact no app was mentioned anywhere in the contract.

p608 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is what the satellite on that truck is for, have them call dispatcher and they will find you in a few moments. No problem.

I am like you. I put NOTHING on my phone. And hardly anything more on the computer. It really does not matter because I use a burner phone i don't care about when it's searched, literally something off the side table that been rotting for years. They can confisicatet hat all they want. There isnt anything on it.

Brokers don't get to track *&^% I hauled medicines in high dollar loads and they contain their own trackers, the trailer is on a seperate qualcomm and tractor has it's own. My cell number is strictly mine, I don't give it out to anyone anymore.

There re only two apps on my phone. One blocks texts and the other blocks voice calls. There is a handful of people I call and that's by relay only and that number is never ever given out.

In short tell the broker to pound sand. Or call your dispatcher instead.

Sometimes you might consider not even using a cell phone capable of taking a app. If you can get a older phone that barely texts and put that into service, you are good to go.

5. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    He's watching you.

20180602_111934.jpg

snowwy Thanks this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    There is an app called mobile sylectus that you can get loads on, and even put the info for the load on it and send it to him. You tell him which carrier you use and he can track you IF you hit the "start tracking" bar.

7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    What kind of phone do you use that cost $5,000????

This one is 2 years old and has like 4 tracking apps on it.

I was thinking of upgrading to whatever my free upgrade is from Verizon, usually the value is like $800ish.

5 U's. Think I only paid $1800 for my PC and monitor.

What kind of phone is that? Like a satellite one the Green Berets use?

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I don't think it's meant to be a 1 to 1 replacement cost, but a disincentive to using the tracking apps in the first place. I'd be extremely surprised if any of the major tracking apps are vectors for malware. I'd place it solely on user error and bad habits. Certainly it's something which shouldn't be taken lightly, but I think a few people might have their foil on a little too tight.

spyder7723 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    They talk to people like that be because they're used to talking to drivers who HAVE to do things they're told to do. It's a different story with OOs.

10. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I showed the compromised phone to a friend of mine, who is an IT guy(having worked with the Los Angeles county Tax assessor's office, the Los Angeles and Orange County District Attorney's office, and now the southern California AQMD as head of their IT departments), he was able to trace the exploited weakness to the lojack app I was forced to install.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The phone doesn't cost much, I paid $300 each for them, but the time to take to clean up a phone and to check the data from that phone takes a lot of time and don't need to have it happen.

I have the app that runs on the phone that is pulls and pushes data to my servers, don't need my data going somewhere it doesn't need to be or having some malware inserted into my servers so we have locked down the phones to prevent apps from being installed. the Driver can do that to his own phone, but that's his problem if he has issues.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.