Brokers want to track me....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 1, 2018.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    When I was a company driver, I was sometimes assigned brokered loads as back hauls. After I picked the load, I brought the trailer to the company relay yard and dropped it. Then I bobtailed to where my car was, parked the truck and drove home. On the way home, the broker called me and wanted to know why I hadn't accepted the tracking requests. The caller was surprised when I told them that the load was being relayed to another driver for delivery, and I was going home for the day - so tracking my phone wouldn't help them with knowing where the load was.

Tug Toy and speedyk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    They need to employ basic load trackers somewhere in the freight. People are used to ups fedex Amazon ect. Where you can see where it is and a updated eta live. I get why they want it. But unless you are making the same run day after day, bugging the driver for tracking is pointless

speedyk Thanks this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    How a Hacker Proved Cops Used a Secret Government Phone Tracker to Find Him

Notably, in March 2016 a state appellate court in Maryland took local law enforcement to task, and ruled unequivocally: “We determine that cell phone users have an objectively reasonable expectation that their cell phones will not be used as real-time tracking devices through the direct and active interference of law enforcement.” The three-judge panel in the State of Maryland v. Andrews case also noted that such a non-disclosure agreement is “inimical to the constitutional principles we revere.”
    Corporations want you to give up your rights for expediency and money. Some people value those rights more than that. I'm one of them.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What became of that apple deal?????

I wouldn't say corporations because apple put up a fight.

6. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018

This tracking never used to be back in 'the days' when truckers didn't put up with stuff like this. There was no tracking for one thing, and the loads still got picked-up and delivered on time. What I see is a new generation of people all across the trucking industry who think they have to apply information technology in almost ever aspect of a driver's daily life as a trucker. They somehow think they have control over you and if you don't comply-no load. I suggest anyone driving less than 20 years talk to some old school drivers to see and understand what trucking was really like as far as freedom and respect. This idea of tracking trucks and being monitored for every move is called safety and good customer service-but not really,it's a time and money saver for all companies involved in trucking. Its also about controlling a driver-or trying to do so.

I would like to further say, that I have been told that the shipper will keep my license until I return from a loading dock or I would not be loaded. This happened twice and both times I called dispatch to find me another load as I was not going to surrender my licence for even an hour. I left both times. So, here is another example of people trying to show a trucker he is under their control. I download the app to get the load and then delete it off my phone and turn it off until I get to the receiver-thats it. In my opinion there are just a lot of punks and green people in the trucking industry and warehouses today who know little or understand little of trucking.

7. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    You are foolish to give up your license to anyone-do you let everyone control you like that? Is your job so important that you surrender your license? Can you tell me any job where people go to work and surrender their license? You are the kind that tear down the little respect that drivers have to today by letting them do so. I refuse to surrender my license and have left shippers several times over that, even if it might cost me my job or a load.

speedyk, DSK333 and ChaoSS Thank this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Indeed. When GPS became standard on trucks and trailers it should have stopped there. Problem is it continued to grow because of sheep and greed. Standing up and saying, "no" can make a difference. History has proven this time and time again. If this continues unchecked we'll all be living Orwell's 1984 before we know it. Sometimes it gets convoluted when "big" money gets involved. Example: it's much easier for a company guy to refuse to load because he doesn't want to leave his ID with a shipper versus an OO who could stand to lose a $5,000+ load. The control issue remains but you know as well as I do that money talks. What I do as a workaround is use other forms of government issued ID such as my TWIC card or one of my Concealed Carry permits. I've never had an issue doing that yet.

djoh615893 Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    They give it back Colonel Klink.

Mattflat362 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Facebook insists device data door differs from dodgy dev data deal

On Sunday, the New York Times explored the existence of a similar arrangement with mobile device makers such as Apple, Amazon, BlackBerry, Microsoft and Samsung.
    Facebook, the report says, gave phone vendors access to data about device users' friends without explicit permission, despite assurances by the social network that it would not longer do such things.

The extent to which these companies took advantage of this capability isn't clear.
    Apple acknowledged having private access to Facebook data, but said that stopped last September. BlackBerry said it used such access only to give customers access to their Facebook info on its phones. Microsoft similarly said it kept such data on its phones and did not sync it to remote servers. Amazon and Samsung declined to respond.​

11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    FeceBook is utter filth. Zuckerberg is Satan.

djoh615893, MACK E-6 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.